[NL2-NL10] Is there a better/more +EV line to take here?

• PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      The only possible mistake would maybe be not c-betting the flop. Maybe the A9 only calls, but if he has half a brain im sure he would raise my c-bet (in which case i'd probs shove there also). Would check calling be a better line from the bottomline perspective? I think the line i did take nets me something like 7bb or 8bb on average per time. How can this hand be played better/smarter to A) Lose less when you lose, but B) Not having to suffer winning less when you win. <<<I dont think that last part was written to clearly but hopefull you know what i mean.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $6.34
      BB:
      $1.08
      MP2 (Hero):
      $5.29
      MP3:
      $3.55
      CO:
      $4.95
      BU:
      $9.21

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, K.
      Hero raises to $0.20, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.20, BU calls $0.20, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.67) 9, 3, 6 (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.50, BU raises to $1.00, Hero raises to $5.09(All-In), CO folds, BU calls $4.09.

Turn: ($11.35) 4 (2 players)

River: ($11.35) Q (2 players)

Final Pot: $11.35.
      Results follow:

Hero shows high card ace(A K).
      BU shows a pair of nines(A 9).

BU wins with a pair of nines(A 9).
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Well put bluntly I don't think you can play it better than bet/3bet at nl5. You can't count on the players behind you valuebetting their hands correctly nor bluffing enough without better reads, and I think it's a big mistake to allow this flop to get checked through. We have so much equity in the pot that we need to bloat the pot for the times we hit, and it's best done by us. All our outs are scary enough that if we just suddenly start going nuts when they land we might scare everyone away. You play it better by putting in money on the flop to cover all the basics options and playing it good against them afterward on the turn whether you hit or not.

They won't give you much problems when you check the turn most of the time they will either pot control everything below TT and let you realize you equity, or they bet small enough that you have correct odds to call and open jam any river hit. If you hit the turn well you just continue to bomb it for value knowing they're already more committed to the pot. If you get raised on the flop you're not thrilled, but you'll run into people that incorrectly raise/fold like 77 there just to see if they're good, and even if you are behind stuff like 9x/TT you're flipping. Only sets are a real problem and even then you have a 1:2 shot at the pot.

Don't overthink it too much. By the way if you're usually playing nl25/nl50 as I recall I'm not sure it's such a good idea to drop all the way down to nl5, player pools are quite different.

Hope it helps.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Ok thanks. Asuming you lead the flop and get called would you fire a second barral on the turn? Obvs answer really but then firing again you risk been raised and if you check with intention to call you may not get payed on the river, so i guess firing again giving youself to ways to win would be best.

Yeah i know NL5 was abit to low to move down, at the time i just felt my game had fallen apart completley so decided it was best to play at stakes that dont mean anything to be ie: so everything becomes dessision based again and where i could just shrug off bad beats/loss of big pots. Genal speaking i also played alot more FR than SH so that was anlother reasson. I think im pritty much ready to move back up now though.

With you're feed back would you play it the same way on NL25/50. At those limits players are more likley to bet there top pairs and over pairs.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Well turn barrels depend a lot on who called you on the flop and what their range is for doing so. Most likely if it's not heads-up by then you're not getting both of them to fold on the turn very often and the stacks will be awkward enough that you'll indeed be put in a weird spot if you get raised. If it's HU it's different, stack/pot ratio will be bigger and you have more options. That said more often than not getting raised there means you're only 8/9-outing with one card to come, it's not that sad to fold the flushdraw.

On nl50 players are also more likely to bluff there since your check usually signals that you're check/folding overcards or a very weak pair.

Hope it helps.