This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

mtt bankroll management opinions plz

• Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      ok so 3 weeks ago i had just over 1k and was using 1% rule so i was playing $10 tourneys
      and in the last 3 weeks i have made 2 awesome final tables and seriously boosted my bankroll....amazing....
      i got one in $9 7k gtd for 4th place and another in $10 6max 8k gtd which i won!!
      so now i have the bankroll to play $50 tourneys(almost)

but should i go ahead and play those higher buyins which will help me improve my game more or should i stay with $10 tourneys and move slowly like up $2 in stakes a week or something like that

what would you do??
  • 9 replies
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I think what I would do is I would add in 50% $20 games or $30 games and get comfortable playing those.
      Not because of the player quality jump from $10-$50 but for the $ loss when you dont place in 20 in a row. It will be hard on your mentality but moving up a bit in buyins you will take it alot better and soon enough be at the $50 level with no worries of playing scared or anything like that.

I think that is what i would do :)
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by lennonac
      I think what I would do is I would add in 50% $20 games or $30 games and get comfortable playing those.
      Not because of the player quality jump from $10-$50 but for the $ loss when you dont place in 20 in a row. It will be hard on your mentality but moving up a bit in buyins you will take it alot better and soon enough be at the $50 level with no worries of playing scared or anything like that.

I think that is what i would do :)
      I was gonna jump in and say 'screw it, if you think you're capable and have the roll then keep playing with 1% rule' but I like lennonac's idea much better! Sensible brm which will keep your emotions in check!

Well done with the good cashes as well :s_cool:
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      thanks for reply

strange thing with mtts...

i had around $400 for months so i was playing $2-4 tourneys all the time

and then i had one good week where i got some nice results to triple my bankroll...

when that happened i was "scared" to start playing for higher buyins and stayed at the $2-4 for at least a month...

and one day i decided.....screw that....i didnt spend a penny for the 1k so i could say it mean little to me...consider it all just a game...

so if i play 50 $10 tournaments and get no cash i will be back to $3 buy ins which i will be ale to beat easily because of the lower standard of play and me playing better so i went for it...

in the next 2 weeks i cashed in about 40% of tourneys i played in and made like one silly play all week....all my moves where well thought through and mostly busted on suckouts and coolers

and this was also the time i made these 2 final tables....probably (or at least i hope so) because i was just paying attention to all the little things going on in the tourney and knew every player's tendencies, weeknesses, and even their poker results so far....

but this time $50 is just too much....half a year ago i wud never have expected playing poker for $50 in one tourney....so with $200 at risk when 4 tabling....

so i will cash out half and keep up the "aggressive " bankroll management

i will do a turbo of lennonac's idea :D
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      nice cashing in those tourneys

jumping to $50 you will find a lot better players on there & the guys multi tabling the big sunday games also play these games so check there stats & get to know the better players

you will find yourself running hot & cold playing tourneys & will get some bad downswings but uise good BRM and you be fine , tend to use 100bi average and using average allow to take few shots at bigger games , like want to play few ECOOP games next month & will try salty into them , if not some will direct buy into a few within my br
    • irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      If I were you, I would withdraw some monies, enjoy your poker winnings! Leave enough in your account to comfortably play $30 tournies, then you can play $10's up to $30's. You are obviously good at $10's so why not play some now and again to boost your roll, it also gives you a lot more option play wise, you can plan a great schedule to fit yourself rather than fitting yourself to your poker schedule, which is the case all to often for MTT players IMO.

Anyway, congrats!
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Silver
      i'd keep playing the 11$ tournaments and add in all the 22$, 33$ and a couple 55$ tourneys too. gotta multitable and 1% is a pretty loose brm for mtts
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      cash out half of the profit and then play with what you have according to BRM.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I have around 9k bankroll, well 8.3k on full tilt and 500$ on pokerstars.
      I think I don´t mind playing tourneys till 50$, but when it comes higher BI I really don´t like playing these to direct buy-ins, since it seems a little too much money to me. I don´t mind time to time to play ftops or scoop events, but to play these on regular bases I think you need a lot higher bankroll than 10k
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      I think you can move up to the $22 easily, but I wouldn't go for the $55. There are bad players there too, but also a couple of regulars. What I would do is:

Play $10 rebuy tourneys with the intention to use the addon option if you feel good enough (set a rule in advance: "If I have x chips then I use the addon"). So It will basically become a 21 dollar tourney, with a pretty huge pricepool thanks to the tons of rebuys.

I would also play a couple of satellites, maybe to $100 or $200 tourneys (afterwards you can ofc decide to play $50 tourney instead), so there wont be such a high pressure on you but you can still win decent amounts.

However, whatever you do, I don't think that moving from $10 to $50 directly is a good idea, and the 1% rule isn't really enough.