mtt bankroll management opinions plz

• Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      ok so 3 weeks ago i had just over 1k and was using 1% rule so i was playing $10 tourneys
      and in the last 3 weeks i have made 2 awesome final tables and seriously boosted my bankroll....amazing....
      i got one in $9 7k gtd for 4th place and another in $10 6max 8k gtd which i won!!
      so now i have the bankroll to play $50 tourneys(almost)

but should i go ahead and play those higher buyins which will help me improve my game more or should i stay with $10 tourneys and move slowly like up $2 in stakes a week or something like that

what would you do??
  • 9 replies
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I think what I would do is I would add in 50% $20 games or $30 games and get comfortable playing those.
      Not because of the player quality jump from $10-$50 but for the $ loss when you dont place in 20 in a row. It will be hard on your mentality but moving up a bit in buyins you will take it alot better and soon enough be at the $50 level with no worries of playing scared or anything like that.

I think that is what i would do :)
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by lennonac
      I think what I would do is I would add in 50% $20 games or $30 games and get comfortable playing those.
      Not because of the player quality jump from $10-$50 but for the $ loss when you dont place in 20 in a row. It will be hard on your mentality but moving up a bit in buyins you will take it alot better and soon enough be at the $50 level with no worries of playing scared or anything like that.

I think that is what i would do :)
      I was gonna jump in and say 'screw it, if you think you're capable and have the roll then keep playing with 1% rule' but I like lennonac's idea much better! Sensible brm which will keep your emotions in check!

Well done with the good cashes as well :s_cool:
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      thanks for reply

strange thing with mtts...

i had around $400 for months so i was playing $2-4 tourneys all the time

and then i had one good week where i got some nice results to triple my bankroll...

when that happened i was "scared" to start playing for higher buyins and stayed at the $2-4 for at least a month...

and one day i decided.....screw that....i didnt spend a penny for the 1k so i could say it mean little to me...consider it all just a game...

so if i play 50 $10 tournaments and get no cash i will be back to $3 buy ins which i will be ale to beat easily because of the lower standard of play and me playing better so i went for it...

in the next 2 weeks i cashed in about 40% of tourneys i played in and made like one silly play all week....all my moves where well thought through and mostly busted on suckouts and coolers

and this was also the time i made these 2 final tables....probably (or at least i hope so) because i was just paying attention to all the little things going on in the tourney and knew every player's tendencies, weeknesses, and even their poker results so far....

but this time $50 is just too much....half a year ago i wud never have expected playing poker for $50 in one tourney....so with $200 at risk when 4 tabling....

so i will cash out half and keep up the "aggressive " bankroll management

i will do a turbo of lennonac's idea :D
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      nice cashing in those tourneys

jumping to $50 you will find a lot better players on there & the guys multi tabling the big sunday games also play these games so check there stats & get to know the better players

you will find yourself running hot & cold playing tourneys & will get some bad downswings but uise good BRM and you be fine , tend to use 100bi average and using average allow to take few shots at bigger games , like want to play few ECOOP games next month & will try salty into them , if not some will direct buy into a few within my br
    • irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      If I were you, I would withdraw some monies, enjoy your poker winnings! Leave enough in your account to comfortably play $30 tournies, then you can play $10's up to $30's. You are obviously good at $10's so why not play some now and again to boost your roll, it also gives you a lot more option play wise, you can plan a great schedule to fit yourself rather than fitting yourself to your poker schedule, which is the case all to often for MTT players IMO.

Anyway, congrats!
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      i'd keep playing the 11$ tournaments and add in all the 22$, 33$ and a couple 55$ tourneys too. gotta multitable and 1% is a pretty loose brm for mtts
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      cash out half of the profit and then play with what you have according to BRM.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I have around 9k bankroll, well 8.3k on full tilt and 500$ on pokerstars.
      I think I don´t mind playing tourneys till 50$, but when it comes higher BI I really don´t like playing these to direct buy-ins, since it seems a little too much money to me. I don´t mind time to time to play ftops or scoop events, but to play these on regular bases I think you need a lot higher bankroll than 10k
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      I think you can move up to the $22 easily, but I wouldn't go for the $55. There are bad players there too, but also a couple of regulars. What I would do is:

Play $10 rebuy tourneys with the intention to use the addon option if you feel good enough (set a rule in advance: "If I have x chips then I use the addon"). So It will basically become a 21 dollar tourney, with a pretty huge pricepool thanks to the tons of rebuys.

I would also play a couple of satellites, maybe to $100 or $200 tourneys (afterwards you can ofc decide to play $50 tourney instead), so there wont be such a high pressure on you but you can still win decent amounts.

However, whatever you do, I don't think that moving from $10 to $50 directly is a good idea, and the 1% rule isn't really enough.