This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Maniac on NL2 SH

• Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Hello guys,

Yesterday was playing against a maniac at NL2 SH, but it's quite difficult for me.

His stats(85hands): VP$IP 95%, PFR 64% WTS 33% W$WSF 50%
      Agrresive on flop, a bit passive(compared to other streets) on turn very aggresive on river.

How to play these guys? Should i just sit down and wait for my nuts? I had catched him few times with pure bluff on all streets, but later on lost with TPTK so i decided not to play because of short bankroll and many tough spots. And the most strange thing is that he doesn't lose, when i came to table he had ~3$, when i left he had ~6$ and i was interesting later how he is doing and he had ~10$.

So the main question is how to play against this type of players? With and without position.
  • 4 replies
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      Don't play them if you're not comfortable.

If you do, tighten up and try to always have position. Slowplay your really big hands, let him hang himself.
    • sk345di
      sk345di
      Global
      Like this

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $96.00
      BU:
      $153.50
      SB (Hero):
      $103.90
      BB:
      $50.00
      MP2:
      $73.05
      MP3:
      $128.55

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, K.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $1.50, CO folds, BU calls $1.50, Hero raises to $5.50, BB folds, MP3 raises to $18.50, BU folds, Hero raises to $104.15, MP3 calls $85.40.

Flop: ($209.8) T, 9, Q (2 players)

Turn: ($209.8) 4 (2 players)

River: ($209.8) A (2 players)

Final Pot: $209.8.

Results follow:

MP3 shows high card ace(8 5).
      Hero shows a pair of aces(A K).

Hero wins with a pair of aces(A K).
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      I remember maniacs being the most hard villains to play against, but when I serioused :f_cool: they turned out to be the most profitable ones.

Hint: lesser aggression frequency on turn means he's evaluating the situation. Typical scenario: he raises or 3-bets = gains initiative. C-bets 100% (or close to this, depending on HIS reads) flops, evaluates turn...

They are actually quite easy to play on lower limits if you take notes. They usually have easy-to-spot tendencies, like potting = bluff, half pot = made hand, check = nuts, bet/bet/bet = bluff etc. I suggest check/raising them alot, works wonders ESPECIALLY if you show a bluff.

Also I see nothing strange in maniac being profitable in small stakes, it is easy to abuse ABC players, and this is the best proof:
      Should i just sit down and wait for my nuts?
      That's what a maniac wants. He will [almost] never pay you off when you finally catch the nuts, and he will steal tons of blinds/take down tons of pots with flop c-bets.

My advice to you is: learn the game, start analysing situations, put yourself in their [maniac's] spots and think how would you play the situation given the image the maniac has, etc.

Against ABC maniac (aggressive until meets resistance) one thing works wonders: check/call him down with medium made hand (not imporant if you win or lose), this way you show you don't fold to c-bets/aggression easily, then bluff him off in later spots by floating him. This may be somewhat advanced, but you will get it when YOU START FEELING COMFORTABLE AGAINST A MANIAC.

I do not advice you to avoid uncomfortable spots. Identify why they are not comfortable, post in sample hands section, take notes and you will eventually own them.
    • SiXAT
      SiXAT
      Bronze
      what i do is tighten up a little with my preflop hands: playing marginal hands in big pots is not profitable cause he will push u( me myself i am used to be that maniac). If he plays something like small ball :bet and foldf to raise , raise him more often when u think he might fold(not to much they hate to be pushed around and will 100% rereraise if u are suspicious).
      If he is not foldable dont bluff.
      try to enter small pots with him , postflop u controll the size of the pot and if i hit i call.
      inducind bluffs is good too: showing weakness when strong might give u profit from hands u sholuld gain.
      My favourite opponents they are.