Maniac on NL2 SH

• Bigniux
      Hello guys,

Yesterday was playing against a maniac at NL2 SH, but it's quite difficult for me.

His stats(85hands): VP$IP 95%, PFR 64% WTS 33% W$WSF 50%
      Agrresive on flop, a bit passive(compared to other streets) on turn very aggresive on river.

How to play these guys? Should i just sit down and wait for my nuts? I had catched him few times with pure bluff on all streets, but later on lost with TPTK so i decided not to play because of short bankroll and many tough spots. And the most strange thing is that he doesn't lose, when i came to table he had ~3$, when i left he had ~6$ and i was interesting later how he is doing and he had ~10$.

So the main question is how to play against this type of players? With and without position.
  • 4 replies
    • Octhellior
      Don't play them if you're not comfortable.

If you do, tighten up and try to always have position. Slowplay your really big hands, let him hang himself.
    • sk345di
      Like this

Hand converted with online hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, K.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $1.50, CO folds, BU calls $1.50, Hero raises to $5.50, BB folds, MP3 raises to $18.50, BU folds, Hero raises to $104.15, MP3 calls $85.40.

Flop: ($209.8) T, 9, Q (2 players)

Turn: ($209.8) 4 (2 players)

River: ($209.8) A (2 players)

Final Pot: $209.8.

Results follow:

MP3 shows high card ace(8 5).
      Hero shows a pair of aces(A K).

Hero wins with a pair of aces(A K).
    • Jackalof
      I remember maniacs being the most hard villains to play against, but when I serioused :f_cool: they turned out to be the most profitable ones.

Hint: lesser aggression frequency on turn means he's evaluating the situation. Typical scenario: he raises or 3-bets = gains initiative. C-bets 100% (or close to this, depending on HIS reads) flops, evaluates turn...

They are actually quite easy to play on lower limits if you take notes. They usually have easy-to-spot tendencies, like potting = bluff, half pot = made hand, check = nuts, bet/bet/bet = bluff etc. I suggest check/raising them alot, works wonders ESPECIALLY if you show a bluff.

Also I see nothing strange in maniac being profitable in small stakes, it is easy to abuse ABC players, and this is the best proof:
      Should i just sit down and wait for my nuts?
      That's what a maniac wants. He will [almost] never pay you off when you finally catch the nuts, and he will steal tons of blinds/take down tons of pots with flop c-bets.

My advice to you is: learn the game, start analysing situations, put yourself in their [maniac's] spots and think how would you play the situation given the image the maniac has, etc.

Against ABC maniac (aggressive until meets resistance) one thing works wonders: check/call him down with medium made hand (not imporant if you win or lose), this way you show you don't fold to c-bets/aggression easily, then bluff him off in later spots by floating him. This may be somewhat advanced, but you will get it when YOU START FEELING COMFORTABLE AGAINST A MANIAC.

I do not advice you to avoid uncomfortable spots. Identify why they are not comfortable, post in sample hands section, take notes and you will eventually own them.
    • SiXAT
      what i do is tighten up a little with my preflop hands: playing marginal hands in big pots is not profitable cause he will push u( me myself i am used to be that maniac). If he plays something like small ball :bet and foldf to raise , raise him more often when u think he might fold(not to much they hate to be pushed around and will 100% rereraise if u are suspicious).
      If he is not foldable dont bluff.
      try to enter small pots with him , postflop u controll the size of the pot and if i hit i call.
      inducind bluffs is good too: showing weakness when strong might give u profit from hands u sholuld gain.
      My favourite opponents they are.