UTG: $10.15
      MP: $25.45
      CO: $19.23
      BTN: $10.00
      Hero (SB): $10.00
      BB: $16.98

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB with Q :diamond: K :heart:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.35, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.30, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.80) K :diamond: J :heart: 2 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.80) J :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.20, Hero calls $1.20

River: ($4.20) 6 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.90, Hero folds

I think there is nothing I beat on the river this guy is 15/9 aftyer 100h
  • 4 replies
    • ExMagnusxL
      ExMagnusxL
      Bronze
      To start this is my first review plus I'm not very good... yet, so I could be way off base here but I don't think I am, so anyway:

Flop play is fine, KQo from early isn't something you want a huge pot preflop with, so calling the raise is a good play, hand can easily be let go of if the flop comes poorly.

But I think that if your gonna check on the flop because you are oop with top pair but not top kicker here then it should be a c/r since the preflop aggressor will likely cbet. You put in $3.10 on the turn and river without gaining any info on his hand while purchasing this info on the flop is actually cheaper at about $2.50 for the c/r. This will give you more info on where you are in the hand, if he calls he has you beat most of the time, raises you must fold, he folds you win which = Profit!

If he called your c/r and sees the turn its unlikely he has the J but he might put you on one if you bet out 3/4+ of the pot, though this is an expensive bluff at $4.35 = ($0.80+($2.50*2))*(3/4). I don't think this is the optimal play and would just check/fold and live to fight another day.

Hope this helps!
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Fold preflop. KQo plays poorly vs. a 15/9 OOP.

If you're calling the turn you should be calling the river. Only thing the river improves is 66. Either call river or fold turn.
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Preflop: It's callable if you think CO is weak/straightforward post flop and you have a plan to take down the pot. But you should never be calling, then playing check/fold if you don't hit a pair. 100 hands isn't really a big sample, and he could be stealing looser than stats indicate. Don't mind calling or folding.

Flop: Would never check/raise vs this villain. This is because you are normally going to isolate yourself against hands that beat you, while folding worse hands. This allows him to play perfectly, while potentially putting you into hard situations. Check/call is good instead, and use his betting patterns and tendencies to draw conclusions. Of course, he is still kind of unknown, so you will have to make assumptions based on how other similar villains play.

Also, if your always raising pairs to see where your at, opponents will eventually realise that your flop raise percentage is unusually high and begin to play back on boards where your not representing anything. So, you'll never know if someone is playing back, or has a legitimate hand, and can make huge mistakes that are easily avoided by just check/calling in these situations.

Turn and river: I think I would fold turn. Haven't done calculations, but I think your equity is going to be quite bad unless he is 2nd barrelling loosely.

Also agree with Sheepmoose. If you call turn, you think he is value betting thinly or getting out of line. Nothing really changes on river. The only concern is bet sizing, which makes it less likely he's betting QT and busted diamonds. But it also makes it cheaper, so I just call and see what he's doing :f_p: .
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Preflop: It's callable if you think CO is weak/straightforward post flop and you have a plan to take down the pot. But you should never be calling, then playing check/fold if you don't hit a pair. 100 hands isn't really a big sample, and he could be stealing looser than stats indicate. Don't mind calling or folding.

Flop: Would never check/raise vs this villain. This is because you are normally going to isolate yourself against hands that beat you, while folding worse hands. This allows him to play perfectly, while potentially putting you into hard situations. Check/call is good instead, and use his betting patterns and tendencies to draw conclusions. Of course, he is still kind of unknown, so you will have to make assumptions based on how other similar villains play.

Also, if your always raising pairs to see where your at, opponents will eventually realise that your flop raise percentage is unusually high and begin to play back on boards where your not representing anything. So, you'll never know if someone is playing back, or has a legitimate hand, and can make huge mistakes that are easily avoided by just check/calling in these situations.

Turn and river: I think I would fold turn. Haven't done calculations, but I think your equity is going to be quite bad unless he is 2nd barrelling loosely.

Also agree with Sheepmoose. If you call turn, you think he is value betting thinly or getting out of line. Nothing really changes on river. The only concern is bet sizing, which makes it less likely he's betting QT and busted diamonds. But it also makes it cheaper, so I just call and see what he's doing :f_p: .
      This. Couldn't have said better myself.

Be careful while interpreting the "your opponents will eventually realize..." thing tho, I'm sure most 15/9 guys at nl10 don't really "realize" much of anything.

Hope it helps.