[NL2-NL10] SH flop set

• Zemnieks11
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, J.
      Hero raises to $0.40, 2 folds, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.85) 5, J, 6 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60.

Turn: ($2.05) 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $1.46, Hero raises to $4.60, BB calls $3.14.

River: ($11.25) 4 (2 players)
      BB raises to $7.59(All-In), Hero calls $4.57(All-In).

Final Pot: $23.41.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, jacks(J J).
      BB shows a flush, queen high(Q J).

BB wins with a flush, queen high(Q J).

The guy was playing 50/5 out of 50hands. On the turn he had only 18%! On river he could have could have flushdraw but since he called my re-raise he could have set too!
      I am only wondering about river call was it right or not?
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

Just raise the flop for value. Whatever he has it doesn't look like he's ready to fold it, so it's better to get value from made hands before they get scared of draws coming in and from draws before they miss and have no reasons to call more bets. If he 3bets you know what to do, if he just calls just calls I'd bet/call any non spade turn and probably check back on a spade since it's the most likely donk/call hand on the flop when you have most of the J blockers.

As played the turn is fine and the river is ugly. If he wasn't on a draw chances are he would have shove the turn already or he wouldn't have shoved the river when the flush came in. So you're basically trying to decide if it's likely enough that he played a non-flush hand horribly to justify you calling with 3.2:1 pot odds. Without reads I think most of us just end up shrugging and calling it off when in doubt, tho it really looks like he has the flush. It's a lot worse to actually fold the best hand than to call it off with the worse hand.

Hope it helps.
    • Zemnieks11
      Yes really agree with raise on flop..thanks for help! :s_cool: