$1.08
      MP1:
      $3.02
      MP2:
      $2.00
      MP3:
      $0.47

Preflop: Hero is BB with T, 9.
      7 folds, SB calls $0.01, Hero raises to $0.08, SB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.16) 4, 8, 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.06, SB calls $0.06.

Turn: ($0.28) 3 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.20, SB calls $0.20.

River: ($0.68) T (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.32, SB raises to $0.64, Hero calls $0.32.

Final Pot: $1.96.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, tens and nines(T 9).
      SB shows a straight, queen high(Q J).

SB wins with a straight, queen high(Q J).

After looking over this hand I feel my first mistake was maybe not folding.

Second mistake not checking turn

Third mistake not folding to reraise of river?
  • 2 replies
    • ExMagnusxL
      ExMagnusxL
      Bronze
      Preflop things are good, his call to your raise indicates a stronger hand for him. Though since its only a call his range is probably 9To+ to KJs plus low pockets such as 22 through 66.

On the flop though your continuation bet is too small especially when his range gives him lots of potential straight draws, a strong bet here is important to discourage drawing out. Of course he won't give you credit for having much on this board but he wont have enough to call with any way in his range. If he had flopped a set on this board he probably would have raised for the same reason you should have raised more.

On the turn your larger bet is really ineffective because the 3:spade: is not a scare card since your raise preflop puts you on a stronger range than that and its very unlikely that it improves your hand so there is really no reason for him not to call with the weakness you showed on the flop.

The river is where he makes his straight, all that I can say here is that someone who calls the flop and turn and then raises on the river rarely has a bad hand, and usually a very strong one if not the nuts.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I wouldn't read too much into that. All the limp/call indicates to me until proven otherwise is that 1/ he's bad 2/ he has a hand he wants to play, which doesn't really narrow down an unknown's range much considering some people just can't fold anything.

On the flop I'm betting bigger for value, between 3/4 and pot. Turn bet is fine, i'm never checking top pair back against a guy who limp/called preflop, if he's bad he could have literally anything from A-high to any pair, as well as a number of gutshots/OESDs, all of which the majority of bad players will call another bet with.

On the river we're again better for value, 87 got there, QJ too but it's not that likely. Any 9x hand will call another bet, as well as hands like JT/T8 that picked up a top pair or better. I'd likely bet around $0.45. When he raises we're not thrilled but with a zillion to 1 odds we can't take the chance that we could fold the best hand against those worse hands, bad players will do stupid stuff all the time.

Don't sweat the river call of the raise too much, concentrate on maximizing value on earlier streets instead. You shouldn't even think about checking back that turn against an unknown.

Hope it helps.