This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL50 SH QQ in SB

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $52.30
      SB (Hero):
      $50.00
      BB:
      $62.35
      CO:
      $114.75

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q.
      CO folds, BU raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $5.00, BB folds, BU calls $3.50.

Flop: ($10.5) 4, 2, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.25, BU calls $6.25.

Turn: ($23) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $15.00, Hero raises to $38.75, BU calls $23.75.

River: ($100.5) J (2 players)

Final Pot: $100.5.

villain is a regular on this limit (and, I now discover, a winning one). Any other way to play this hand? Didn't really feel I could lay down this hand since better starting hands than mine are likely to have four bet and this is a blind battle.
      Any thoughts?
  • 4 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think your play is reasonable
      if you´re really comfortable on your reads you can try to c/c turn adn c/f river, but folding overpair usually is not the best idea in 3-bet pot
      SO I liked how you played it
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks, he had A :club: 3 :club: . I don't normally give opponents hands but here I am struggling to see how villain makes the call preflop with this hand (given that, as I said, here's a winning player).

Does he hope to stack me on the rare occasions he hits -- like this -- or is it that he doesn't want me to get into the habit of 3betting his steals?

Thanks
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      maybe he was tilted
      usually players wouldn´t defend with A3s
      I tihnk his idea was not to hit straight and then stack your overpair, but often just float a lot of flops and take down bet on the turn
      or if he hits his flushdraw then just shove on the flop
    • dicekeyrollz
      dicekeyrollz
      Bronze
      Would hands like KK or AA 4-bet you and announce the strength of their hands? I would imagine they'd play it the way they played it out in this example. Is it conceivable for villain to call your 3-bet with 36 to try to catch the kind of flop that just came off. Nonetheless, I also believe that the line you followed was a perfectly reasonable one. QQ 4-handed beats way too many hands.