[NL2-NL10] NL10 - AQ beaten by KKK

• bL1z
      bL1z
      Bronze
      0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , Q:diamond:
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0,10, MP3 folds, CO calls $0,10, BU folds, SB calls $0,05, Hero checks.

Wasn't smart to check there, I should have raised.

Flop: ($0,40) 3:heart: , K:diamond: , K:club: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,43, MP2 folds, CO calls $0,43, SB folds.

Not the best flop for my hand, but I decided to give it a go. CO just smooth-called me here. I didn't know he was holding a 3rd King in his hand...

Turn: ($1,26) A:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1,81, Hero raises to $1,41 (All-In).

A good card for me. I thought I had him beat, so I immediatly called when he put me all-in.

River: ($4,48) 3:diamond:

Only another Ace could have saved me... too bad.

Final Pot: $4,48

I got trapped by someone who hit 3 of a kind after the flop. I think he'd have folded his hand if I raised him before the flop. Or was this just some bad luck?
  • 5 replies
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      No, this wasn't bad luck. You definitely should have raised this preflop. AQ is raise or fold, even from the BB. Raise 4xBB plus 1BB per limper, three of them here, so total of .70 raise. With that to call, you should have folded everyone, and picked up 3 BB without playing, and that is a win.

Do you use the SHC for the SSS? If so, try to follow it exactly. Don't question it at all in the beginning, trust that it has been put together by people who know what they are saying.

It may be that you would have been called by the CO with his Kx anyway. But then it would have been his mistake, not yours. You would probably have still lost this pot, but not through your mistake. You see this? You will lose money to bad play. Sometimes your bad play, and sometimes your opponents bad play. In this case, it was yours. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to turn that around, so the only bad play that beats you is your opponents. ;)
    • bL1z
      bL1z
      Bronze
      That was some useful feedback, thanks a lot.

I do use the SHC for SSS, and I try to stick with it as much as I can. It's just that some hands, such as A10 suited, make me want to limp in and try my luck.

For now, I'll just stick to the basics and try to expand my bankroll.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      That is definitely the way to go.

My worst, kick myself and curse me for a fool, mistake, was to min raise AA from the SB, hoping to trap BB. He obliged, and on a flop of K66, I got my remaining stack in, and he showed 36os. Lovely!
    • bL1z
      bL1z
      Bronze
      Ouch!
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Nothing to add, maybe only that you should visit the SSS-Coachings and keep posting sample hands. ;)