Poker Books to Read

• tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      I have just received the books I purchased in Pstar VIP store. Just right on time since I am now forced to switch to BSS in FR NL Hold'em since Pstars now have 40BB min buyin on most tables.

1. Kill Everyone - revised and expanded edition - by Lee Nelson, Tysen Streib and Kim Lee

2. Tournament Poker for Advanced Players (D. Sklansky)

3. Power Hold'em Strategy by Daniel Negreanu

4. Harrington on Cash Games: Volume I by Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie

5. Harrington on Cash Games: Volume II by Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie

Which books would you guys recommend to read 1st and what specific chaptes do I need to focus? Thanks in advance.
  • 12 replies
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Hi Tac, nice to see another SSSer making the conversion. I must say that even if I'm not making what I was before, I'm really not regretting making the switch, just start at the level you think is alright with a solid BR and you'll be fine.

As for the books, I think Harrington should be really nice for a start, even if I don't think you should learn many new things there since you already have tons of experience. The other three books focus on tournaments, but it's your choice on which format you want to focus. Usually I play tourneys just for fun when not ready for my A game in cash.

After that I suggest you get some advanced books, I read Let there be range, the NL workbook (ltbr sequel) and now I'm reading Baluga Whale's easy game (probably the best poker book I ever read). Those will open your mind to the things you need to think about when playing.

Gl in your new adventure, if you need anything else just msg me, former SSSers should help eachother.
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      all the books u mentioned are quite obsolete.

just read "let there be ranges" from cole south. btw it cousts 1850$ :f_eek: :f_eek: :f_eek: :f_eek: :f_eek: :f_eek:
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      Originally posted by silent21
      all the books u mentioned are quite obsolete.

just read "let there be ranges" from cole south. btw it cousts 1850$ :f_eek: :f_eek: :f_eek: :f_eek: :f_eek: :f_eek:
      I've read "Let there be range" by Cole "CTS" South and Tri "Slowhabit" Ngyen and I have to say that although it is quite good and it has some concepts and somewhat inovative thought processes that I've never heard of, most of it isn't applicable under about 200 NL 6-max. It is indeed a very good read but I can't really apply most of what I learned from it to level 1 thinkers.
      (btw, the price is now $947)

Since you're starting out with BSS it's definetly not for you because it's relevance applies more to later streets that you as a SSP don't have to deal with that much.

As for the books the OP mentioned I have them but I didn't have the time to read them. But I've been recommended many times to read both Harringtons Cash Game books.

Other good reads are:
      - "Small Stakes No-Limit Hold'em" by Ed Miller, Sunny Mehta and Matt Flynn
      - "The Poker Blueprint" by Tri "Slowhabit" Ngyen

You said you'll be playing FR. Don't you consider switching to 6-max?

There's a good starting free book on this matter: "Ryan Fees 6-max NL Strategy Guide".

And more advanced works from BalugaWhale, Improva O., Bobbofitos, etc.
    • tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      @Rahx Thanks for the advice. I will try to finish harringtons books as soon as possible since I already started playing BSS yesterday in Pstars. I think my session was good and won 2BI. and I chose to start in NL200 since my database are mostly from this limit. I don't want to start from scratch. :)

I hope I can get my hand on the other books mentioned by other members soon to improve my game. Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. :)
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      who can ship me this book " The Poker Blueprint" ?
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      I would gladly trade it for:

- Elements of Poker
      - The Poker Mindset
      - DUCY
      - anything else you might find interesting
    • Proky11
      Proky11
      Bronze
      Do you know any eshop in Europe where you can buy Collin Moshman's book Sit and Go Strategy?
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello Proky11,

Have you tried Amazon

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Bronze
      I can only recommend let there be range, it makes you think a lot about what lines counters what lines and how to beat weak regs i enjoyed reading it a lot.
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      I can only recommend let there be range, it makes you think a lot about what lines counters what lines and how to beat weak regs i enjoyed reading it a lot.
      ihufa I taught you everything you needed to know, you have never read a book. No need to lie.
    • mist3rbl4ck
      mist3rbl4ck
      Bronze
      Although they may be somewhat dated, I found all of Harrington's books (On Hold'em 1+2, On Cash Games 1+2) to be a good read and they cover much of the basic - intermediate strategies. I hear that he is coming out with a new on-line poker strategy book and I'm looking forward to that one as well.

I haven't read any of the "new school" books yet, but have just recieved Andrew Seidman's "Easy Game" (1+2), as well as Tri Nguyen's "Let there be Range", "The Poker Blueprint", "The No Limit Hold'Em Workbook" and "The Pot Limit Omaha Book".

Looking forward to reading about the "new school" of thinking!

One book I can't recommend is Phil Helmuth's "Play Poker Like the Pros". It was horrible!

Cheers,
      Mr. Black

p.s.: I also enjoyed Doyle Brunson's classic "Super System" and Phil Gordon's "Little Green Book", but I might be dating myself.
    • strosdegoz
      strosdegoz
      Bronze
      I think Harrington´s books are pretty good!