NLHE 6max the softest?

• peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      I received this email from PTR this week and this point was very interesting I think.

6-Max is the Softest?
      Preliminary data suggests that for $50NL - $200NL, 6-max may be easier than heads up or full ring games. 6-max games not only have more volume, but they also have a smaller percentage of winning players.

We analyzed $50NL, $100NL and $200NL players across all sites that played over 1,000 hands in 2010. The percentage of winners was calculated from April 4, 2010 - April 10, 2010.

Table Size Number of Players % Of Winning Players
      Heads Up 5,950 44.5%
      6-Max 21,117 40.6%
      Full Ring 15,423 43.6%

Surely less winning players + better table selection = +ev
  • 9 replies
    • csnmf
      csnmf
      Global
      Less winning players makes it the softest?

That's interesting logic, i look at it the exact opposite, less winning players means it's harder to win as less people can do it. Also might mean the skill level in players is more tightly distributed so less people beat the rake.

I don't NECESSARILY see it as oh there's less winning players therefore there are less good players i need to beat.

But basically i think those stats are nonsense in determining which are softest. Those figures are "misleading" (for lack of a better word) and i think are a result of simply the effect of rake considering that most people think that only 5-10% of people are winning poker players which i am inclined to agree with, although i can't explain it.

Although i remember seeing similar figures in my database when i used PT2.

Pretty much i think we can draw very little from these stats.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Wait what... 40% winning players? :O
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Seems like there's no money HU....
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      ofcourse there is, heads up requires more skill then any other game in my opinion. A good player would crush those fish xD Although luck is also a big factor in heads up games..
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      ofcourse there is, heads up requires more skill then any other game in my opinion. A good player would crush those fish xD Although luck is also a big factor in heads up games..
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      wp :D
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Well the database is made of players that played more than 1000 hands..

1000 hands is no sample at all.. That means such a short-term stats dont really say us anything..

If you make the statistics of players that played 10 hands then 50% players will be winners and 50% loosers because there is no skill involved. (without counting the rake)

If every player would play 100k hands then its possible you gonna get about 15-20% winnings players.

I hope what i wrote makes sense :D
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by peche025
      We analyzed $50NL, $100NL and $200NL players across all sites that played over 1,000 hands in 2010.
      do I need to add anything?

edit: good timing JQ ;)
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      :heart: