[NL2-NL10] JJ hand

• goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      Hi, pretty new to cash games not sure how I should have dealt with this hand- I felt I was kinda committed on the flop.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $4.56
      UTG2:
      $9.46
      MP1 (Hero):
      $5.18
      MP2:
      $5.00
      MP3:
      $6.58
      CO:
      $5.00
      BU:
      $5.81
      SB:
      $13.35

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J, J.
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 4 folds, SB raises to $0.70, BB folds, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.45) 8, 3, 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.10, Hero raises to $2.50, SB raises to $5.75, Hero calls $1.98.

Turn: ($11.68) 9 (2 players)

River: ($11.68) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $11.68.
  • 5 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Well, SB has a decent stack and his 3-bet sizing makes sense so chances are he kinda knows what he's doing. That means he usually doesn't 3-bet you out of position SBvsMP1 without the likes of TT+/AK at worse, it's very possible he just has QQ+/AK in that spot.

And so on such a flop where AK isn't that inclined to c-bet with overcards, you're basically up against AcKc that you're flipping with, maybe other AK hands if he somehow c-bets that flop with everything, maybe JcJs that is freerolling you, maybe TT that has 2-outs if he even 3-bets that preflop, and for sure all combos of QQ+ that have us 2-outing.

Long story short you need him to be out of line A LOT for your hand to actually hold up, and while it's always hard to find folds with overpairs, there are just spots where it's not profitable to go broke with them. I'd either call the flop and fold the turn or plain for the turn, barring a read that SB is 3-betting / c-betting too much even on bad textures.

Hope it helps.
    • dicekeyrollz
      dicekeyrollz
      Bronze
      What are the results of the hand? If you both went all-in you would at least get to know what he was holding right?
    • goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      I don't see how the results matter- I don't know them while I am playing the hand, so only the decisions matter.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Well they don't matter for the hand itself since it's over, but they can be of use afterward, provided you don't draw the wrong conclusions from them.

Like if he shows you QQ+, you don't really learn anything since we expect most people to play those hands like that in a vacuum.

On the other hand if he shows you complete garbage, it tells you that this particular player is nuts, and it tells others in the forum that there are some guys out there who look decent but still make awful plays sometimes.

dicekeyrollz: for this particular hand you can likely assume villain showed hero a bigger pair, since first when he c-bet/jams his range is a lot stronger than when he c-bets/fold, second hero likely wouldn't bother posting the hand if he had won it, and third the formulation of the original post kinda implies that hero thought he should have folded but felt committed. Those aren't things you should be thinking about when evaluating the hand tho, since it strengthens result-oriented reasoning.

Hope it helps.
    • dicekeyrollz
      dicekeyrollz
      Bronze
      Yeah I understand the 'not-thinking about results' part, but I was just curious to know. :f_cool: