$1.80
      BB (Hero):
      $9.01
      MP3:
      $0.93
      CO:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, T.
      CO posts deadblind, MP3 folds, CO checks, BU calls $0.05, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.17) 9, 8, Q (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, CO folds, BU calls $0.12.

Turn: ($0.41) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.32, BU calls $0.32.

River: ($1.05) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, BU raises to $2.57, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.75.

Hi,

This calling station goes to the showdown 36% of the time and his aggresion factor is: 0.3

Now I bet small on the turn because there are no draws and no danger... i make a normal bet on the turn and river... but then he goes all in... which means ... a very strong hand.. either a straight.. which I split against or a flush which i lose against?

Or am I being too careful here? Im really not sure
  • 4 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'd just bet pot on the flop, I don't think it makes a difference to the hands he calls with and it allows the pot to grow bigger faster.

Turn bet is okay since maybe he'll start to find some folds with the worse pairs if you bet pot again, tho it's certainly fine to bet pot again considering how often he has a pair+draw hand that he's not folding no matter what.

On the river I'd just bet $0.80 since he won't fold Qx anyway. When he jams it's a bit awkward since if he's really a calling station you will rarely see him make that river shove without at least a straight, these players don't get excited with just A9 on that river. Depends how solid you think your read is, very passive players will have backdoored the flush or at least have JT when they jam on you there, while slightly more aggressive ones might possible show you AQ or a "slowplayed" set.

Hope it helps.
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      Is my fold right? his aggression factor is so low? and calling stations dont go all in unless they have something?? was my fold right? i really need to know :f_cry:
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

We don't know and we never will now :) It really depends on how accurate your read on him being a bread-and-butter calling station is. WTSD and AF aren't reliable stats for small samples, we can't make a clearly optimal decision based on that alone.

I can tell you it's a fold I make sometimes so in my opinion it's not bad by any means provided your read is right, but you need to get somewhat used to the fact that you just need to trust yourself to be successful at this game, because nobody has all the answers and we're usually on your own at the tables. There are many gray areas that are associated with people being unknowns and the overall variance of poker, it's just part of the game.

You can make those calls if they eat at you so much and figure out what he's doing that with for a price if you're more interested in learning the game than making money. Just don't make it a habit ;)

Hope it helps.
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      Ok,

I dont care how much money i make at the moment I just want to learn, and i really think he had something very strong,

i fold most of the time when i think im behind.. maybe thats wrong but my bankroll does grow because i do play when i know im ahead so i end up with a positive session money :)

thanks for your help