[NL2-NL10] NL10 AK (rush poker)

• vmarqui
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with K, A.
      Hero raises to $0.40, UTG2 calls $0.40, 3 folds, CO calls $0.40, 3 folds.

Flop: ($1.35) 4, 9, A (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, UTG2 folds, CO raises to $2.00, Hero calls $1.30.

Turn: ($5.35) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.00, CO calls $2.00.

River: ($9.35) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.05, CO calls $4.05.

Final Pot: $17.45.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a flush, ace high(K A).
      CO shows a flush, ace high(9 9).

Hero wins with a flush, ace high(K A).

How should I have played this hand? His raise in flop surprised me, I was expecting to be the aggressor, my hand was not strong enough to 3bet or push IMO. The chance of him having three of a kind or two pairs was high.
      I didn't really knew what to do on turn and river.
      On turn I would have gone all in if he raised. I had top pair+flush draw.
      And on river I would have liked to go all in, but he would fold without a high diamond.
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

Well you don't usually get raised as the preflop aggressor on A-high flops unless your top pair is in serious jeopardy, usually against A9s/99/44, sometimes against flushdraws. If he's bad obviously he may raise worse Ax hands but it won't happen that often, again knowing whether your opponent is a reg or a fish is very helpful. Against regs you can just fold right there, against the fish depending on just how aggressive they are, both calling and 3-betting for value can be fine.

When the flush gets there on the turn, it should freeze the action against anything but made flushes against regs, and even the fish will usually slow down. So if you get action on that card your top pair basically disappears and you're playing the nut redraw. If you somehow get all-in on that turn i guarantee you your top pair is virtually never good, which is why it shouldn't be your objective. If villain is so bad that he will raise the flop with a worse Ax and go broke even on that turn, then you're better off just 3-betting the flop to begin with.

Usually it's best to just check the turn and see what happens, if he bets again big you won't get odds to redraw but you're far behind anyway, if he bets small you can call with correct odds, if he doesn't bet you get to realize your equity by seeing the river for free. When you bet yourself you risk getting shoved on by a range that trumps you and you will never get called by a worse hand, except if villain is a big fish, and even then he might just shove nonsense on you for the hell of it, which puts you in a bad spot where calling might still be profitable, but it's a strategy that is usually dominated by you 3-betting the flop.

As played when you donk the flushing turn and he just calls I doubt he has the flush, it's unlikely he's slowplaying since you have the nut blocker he has to be afraid you'll outdraw him somehow. So I agree with you that it's usually hard for him to call the river with most of his range, I'd maybe even make it smaller than that.

Hope it helps.
    • vmarqui
      I see my mistakes. Thank you! :)