[NL2-NL10] AK in a weird situation.

• Catinthewall
      Catinthewall
      Bronze
      In an unintentional SH hand, three in a row passed up the BB. Villian plays annoyingly donkeyish, limping 40%, 3betting 17%, and always contibetting.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Full Tilt
      SB ($11.75)
      BB ($3.05)
      Hero ($11.35)
      CO ($11.19)
      BTN ($10)

Dealt to Hero K:heart: A:spade:

A decent hand to end a table at, if I have to eject it gives the two regulars there an apparent read of "Likes to play last hand."

Hero raises to $0.25, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.50, fold, Hero calls $0.25

I called because he did this with mid-high pocket pairs, and thought it was prudent to see the flop before investing more.

FLOP ($1.10) 6:diamond: 3:diamond: 9:club:

SB bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

He makes his usual contibet, I thought it through. six outs to a better pair. With the diamonds on the table, I could try a float bluff if a third showed.

TURN ($2.30) 6:diamond: 3:diamond: 9:club: A:heart:
      Yay, I hit.

SB bets $0.10.

???? What is he playing at? at this point I'm thinking he's weakly value betting a set, 9s, maybe sixes, perhaps he held the other two aces. Or he's firing a second bullet with some other pair, K to 7, trying to bluff the ace, and ignorant of pot odds. If that was the case, and I showed some aggression, he'd quit.

Hero raises to $2, SB calls $1.90

RIVER ($6.30) 6:diamond: 3:diamond: 9:club: A:heart: A:diamond:

Worst river card possible. Against a bluff I'm still ahead and he'd be scared to throw any more money at me. Against a set, he got his boat and wouldn't care if I got the flush.

He pushes all in for 1.4x the pot, and I'm completely clueless as to what he has. At this point I'm completely doubting myself. A9? A6? 99? 66? What else would he push with? In the short time I had, I decided that he would have reraised on the turn if he had hit two pair, leaving me with a range of KK-66. of the 8 hands he could have, 2 would have the set, giving me worst case odds of 4 to one against, better than the pot odds by a long way. Finally, I considered if he would be willing to bluff in such a situation. He had a showdown/win of 33/20, so I decided he was even more likely to be bluffing. I gritted my teeth and called.

SB bets $8.65 (AI), Hero calls $8.25 (AI)

SB shows 7:spade: 7:diamond:
      (Pre 55%, Flop 77.8%, Turn 4.5%)

Hero shows K:heart: A:spade:
      (Pre 45%, Flop 22.2%, Turn 95.5%)

Hero wins $21.28

Wow. Just wow.
      That situation was disgusting, and I'm still shaking from the stress of that one. I know that just because I won the hand doesn't mean I could have played it better, so I submit this hand with my thoughts, and hope someone can improve my thought processes.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I believe you're overthinking the whole thing. Just picture a monkey mashing a keyboard, it'll help you play better against those villains.

The cold hard truth is: this fish is overly aggressive and he's 3-betting very often, so AKo is already a nut hand preflop. I would 4-bet that all day long and expect him to both call out of position with a lot worse and 5-bet with worse hands, so I'm felting that preflop to any action with a smile on my face.

On the flop I like your call, tho I wouldn't really consider that floating since chances are you're ahead a decent amount.

On the turn it's odd that he minbet the A, he could be scared with a smaller pair or planning a "tricky" minbet/3bet with whatever he considers a monster hand, which could range from a set to A2 to some 52dd combo draw. Again, we're better off just treating AK like the mortal nuts and not looking back, easy value raise.

On the river it's basically the same, that player is just way too spazzy for us to ever not consider our top trips as the nuts. Plus he just called the turn, chances are if he had two pairs+ he'd minbet/3bet it instead of minbet/calling with part of those hands if not all of them. He could be bluffing with some busted hands that he blockbet/called the turn with, he could play worse trips like that all day long. Just close your eyes, picture the monkey on his keyboard and call it off with a smile, if you're beat it's a cooler.

As for the results of that hand, as you can see if makes no sense whatsoever on his part, which is why you just can't fold strong hands to these guys. If he was probably thinking he induced a bluff raise by minbetting the turn and when another A came he was confident you didn't have one yourself, so he shoved it in for no real reason really. Don't level yourself into folding monsters against those players, they just defy standard "rules of thumb" of hand-reading.

Hope it helps.