[NL2-NL10] NL10 QTo

• amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      MP3 seems to be pretty TAGish from the hands I have on him. BTN is like weak-loose.

I decided to bluff flop cos like it is dry for preflop aggressor and check-raise will look strong.

Given this should I 2nd barrel on the card that is going to improve my equity against like 9x and his pocketpairs (which I felt I could make him fold here a lot) - I felt it was just a bit too weak given this card actually gives me some outs to draw to and that I can probably make him fold most of his PP's now.

My plan was to then just give up on any river that does not give me a straight.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $10.00
      CO:
      $7.33
      BU:
      $9.84
      SB:
      $12.69
      BB (Hero):
      $11.51

Preflop: Hero is BB with T, Q.
      MP3 raises to $0.35, CO folds, BU calls $0.35, SB folds, Hero calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1.1) 6, 9, 9 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.70, BU folds, Hero raises to $1.85, MP3 calls $1.15.

Turn: ($4.8) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.80, MP3 calls $2.80.

River: ($10.4) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.51, MP3 calls $5.00.

Final Pot: $21.91.
  • 2 replies
    • deeman30Rus
      deeman30Rus
      Bronze
      there wasn't 2nd barrel if mp3 is tagish so i suppose he called pocket pair higher or trips ...
      check/call turn(pot odds) and all in river =)

ps. for english sorry
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Pretty loose call preflop out of position but I believe you know what you're doing, and since BU seems somewhat fishy it's likely fine.

I don't mind the check/raise bluff itself but I think you should reevaluate MP3's bet/calling range. It's a paired board so he's probably c-betting there often, but it's still medium semi connected cards so I wouldn't be surprise to see some guys check back overcards some of the time either. As for your actions, you did plan a check/raise into 2 players, including a somewhat fishy one, so you should look kinda strong.

At small stakes you'll start to encounter players that can float this check/raise with 6x/78/77-88, and at mid stakes you'll probably get floated by wider ranges still, but i very much doubt your taggish opponent at nl10 is calling that check/raise lightly. Which means on the turn the range of hands that he will be looking to fold to another bet is likely very narrow, he probably has TT+ more often than anything else with a bunch of 66/9x in there, and you shouldn't really try to make people fold that on later streets in my opinion.

I guess you can still make that bet as kind of a blocking bet to see another cheapish card and hit your straight, but considering that sometimes you're already drawing dead and you might hit your straight while villain makes a boat on the river too, I think you would need to jam some blank rivers (and make him fold) as well to show a profit overall, which is dicey considering i don't believe you have much fold equity to begin with. Consider that you'll also get shoved on on the turn sometimes as well and will never get to see a river.

As played on the river we just have to pray that villain has naked trips 9 (kinda rare he shouldn't open that many 9x from MP3, maybe A9s/T9s/98s, and he might 3bet the flop with some) or a premium pair that didn't boat up and that he still can't find a fold with. TT is likely gone by now, he might release QQ sometimes given the K river and the strength of your line, even AA shouldn't be thrilled to call down. I'm not saying we shouldn't shove for value once we get there we kinda have to, but it's not really a fist-pump jam either.

Hope it helps.