[NL2-NL10] NL10 - AK beaten by straight

• bL1z
      0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:club: , A:club:
      MP1 calls $0,10, 5 folds, Hero raises to $0,50, MP1 calls $0,40.

Flop: ($1,05) J:spade: , Q:club: , A:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Had top-pair with a top-kicker and wanted to set a trap. I realise it's a mistake, because I should always bet with a made hand. Besides that the board was dangerous. But still...

Turn: ($1,05) K:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,65, MP1 raises to $1,30, Hero raises to $1,35 (All-In), MP1 calls $0,05.

I hit my 2 pair so I bet about 2/3 of the pot, he immediatly raised me. Sure, if he holds a T he made his straight. But would he call a raise preflop? I didn't think so, so I went all in...

River: ($3,75) 6:heart:

He shows me an awful 10-2 off suit and beat me with a straight. Who's call a preflop raise with that hand? :p

Final Pot: $3,75

I know I didn't completely stick to the SSS, but I still think I didn't play this hand too bad.

Thanks in advance for criticizing this hand. :)
  • 3 replies
    • kappe69
      it is pretty suspicious if you play the sss and dont make a conti-bet.
      and AK on this board is absolutely not a hand with which you should trap someone.
      you can do this perhaps with a set on a rainbow-non connected board by betting just 1/2 potsize to give your opponent the invitation to call.

just play straight-forward. its not necessary to slowplay on this limit. there are enough opponents who make bad (all-in)calls.

so: flop: contibet ~2/3 potsize
      if you have less than 1,5times the pot just move all-in
    • bL1z
      Alright, I'll make a continuation bet next time.
      Thanks for your feedback. :)
    • Berliner1982
      Originally posted by bL1z
      I know I didn't completely stick to the SSS, but I still think I didn't play this hand too bad.
      Thats your biggest mistake not sticking to the strategy. The strategy has swings of its own, because of the variance. But if you do not stick to it, this swings (for your own bad) get even much bigger.

You played that hand really terrible postflop.

On the Flop make a Conti-Bet, otherwise you give a terrible hand like this T 2 offsuit hand a chance to see the turn for free. Sure your opponent played that hand bad preflop but you played it worse on the flop. You only had Top Pair with Top Kicker on a board where K T already beats you (what is a hand that often calls a raise preflop). If you opponent call your C-bet on the Flop than it would have been bad luck (swings) but at least you have played that hand correct.

So please stick to the strategy, nobody wants you to be broke and I bet especially not you. ;)