SNG vs CASH GAME

• sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      Im stuck.. i don't know whether to take up SNGs again or stick with cash games.

I just started playing poker about a 2 months ago and for that time i've been playing SNG's (1 dollar :( lol)

I tried cash games again yesterday and made some good progress.. i think i made 20 dollars on NL 0.05/0.10 in about a 2 hour session.. which was good considering it would take me a lot longer when playing SNG's!

So i just wanna know which one i should stick with and why? (or both!?)

Thanks a lot

Tom!
  • 14 replies
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      Why not play both and see which one you are best in? I know it can be confusing sometimes in terms of learning, but it sure gives you a good idea about which you like most (and earns the most, off course :) ). I find that when I'm tired of one or the other, I switch. Often though, I play both at the same time: 2 cash game tables and 1 or 2 sng's. Off course, that's only possible with the proper bankroll.
      I seriously recommend though to read some books about tourney's if you're willing to take them up as a full time poker career, because I found that the articles here on PS are a little too narrow. Harrington on Hold'em vol. 1-3 are great for that purpose.
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      i actually bought harrington on holdem and i am mid way through the first one.. the reason i wanted to switch to cash is because climbing up over the $1 buy in is so tedious and i seem to earn a lot more (or have done so far) in cash games
    • Pacer357
      Pacer357
      Bronze
      For most sites the rake on the lower sngs are gruesome and hard to overcome even if you have a solid edge. Sng´s are a lot easier to master but play the cashgames to where atleast your bankroll allows you to play the ones with 10% rake or less. And when you read Harrington do it critically at least if your going to play Sng´s with it. I think that there is a lot better material to learn Sng´s online.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Timor83
      I seriously recommend though to read some books about tourney's if you're willing to take them up as a full time poker career, because I found that the articles here on PS are a little too narrow. Harrington on Hold'em vol. 1-3 are great for that purpose.
      We will present you a completely new tournament area within a few weeks. Meanwhile you can read Harrington :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Barne
      Barne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puschkin81

We will present you a completely new tournament area within a few weeks. Meanwhile you can read Harrington :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
      Wow that'd be so great! I like to play SnG's but i really need to work on it. I manage to end in the money almost always but heads up i'm a disaster! So it's not that proffitable for me :(
    • masterxcvt
      masterxcvt
      Bronze
      unfortunately at sng it's very important to win than to enter in the money .... and i suck too at Heads UP play :rolleyes:
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      I've tried both now and im sticking to SNG! :D

I too need help with heads up play
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

You will get advice in the new articles about Heads-up play. Meanwhile I recommend our live SnG coaching to you which takes place every Wednesday and where you can ask questions.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Requ1em
      Requ1em
      Basic
      Hey there.. I would really like to play 1$ SnG's but I can only find 3$ ones on Partypoker... can you help me?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Requ1em!

There are $1 SnGs on PokerStars. You can use our bonus code "PSVIP" if you want to make a deposit. If your bankroll is not big enough to make such a depsoit I strongly recommend that you play cash games until your bankroll is big enough either to move your bankroll from one poker room to the other or to play the $3 SnGs on partyPoker. Don't invest your own money.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • hippycritt0420
      hippycritt0420
      Bronze
      heads up play is another game all in itself, i like to pride myself on my heads up stats.. about eighty percent win average

i played in a heads up freeroll with over five hundred players where the winner recieved a ten grand seat plus travel money for a tourny in calgary.. i played for what seemed like a lifetime and made it to the final too.. and of course i succumed to the ever popular suck out and all i got for my efforts was a letter from the poker site commending me on my play..come to think of it the sight isn't around anymore.. which is a shame cuz i haven't seen that format anywhere else
    • Laurenz1988
      Laurenz1988
      Bronze
      Sit n go's are rather easy to play, since they are mechanical. Its all ABC, play tight in the beginning, and once the stakes rise u should use an push or fold strategy. It depends too much on luck. Tournaments and Cashgames are way more EV!
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      speed sit'n'gos rocks :D but then again, so does SH ;)
    • Slick14
      Slick14
      Bronze
      I found 1$ sit n gos r jokes its almost pure luck if u win most of the time, since there are so many reckless players only saying "well its just a dollar". PLus even when u win these 1$ sit n gos the pay out isnt that great after u subtract the entry fee. I would suggest only playing sit n gos if u can afford a higher limit all say 3 dollar or 5 dollar minimum. SO unless u have an increased bankroll from ur original 50$ or feel like gambling and going for it I suggest you wait. However learning how to play sit n gos are great cause these will greatly help ur major tournament game.