[NL2-NL10] bluff re-raise on the river

• cutegoldfish
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, A.
      Hero raises to $0.17, 3 folds, SB raises to $0.46, BB folds, Hero calls $0.29.

Flop: ($0.97) J, 6, 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.46, Hero calls $0.46.

Turn: ($1.89) 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.46, Hero calls $0.46.

River: ($2.81) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.46, Hero raises to $2.38, SB raises to $3.82, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $5.19.

i thought his holdings were really weak and wanted to push him off his hand. should i have re-raised on the turn instead or simply gave up on the river?
  • 2 replies
    • mishuq
      I'd 4bet pf with AKs. as played, raise/fold flop if u don't have info on him
    • MaestroOfZerg

Hard to say without reads on SB, calling preflop is certainly fine if you don't believe he has a wide range for 3-betting preflop SBvsUTG, which most people don't.

As played on the flop I would just fold, it's a board that people often check/fold with AK as the preflop reraiser, and SB's bet-size is odd. Most regs would bet bigger on that texture if they were going to bet at all, so it's more likely to me he's just a random fish we don't have any read on, and I don't like just randomly guessing in spots where we don't have much equity with our hand anyway. We have no idea whether we'll be good on a K or A turn, we don't know even if we're ahead now if he's going to bet the turn again or not with a bluff. Maybe he'll bet small with 9x like that all the way and own us. We have no clue whether we can make him fold anything by raising either. Just not worth it until you know more about him in my opinion.

Hope it helps.