I will be a winner...One day. Now HU blog

• ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Hey.

Where to start... i wrote a thread in here a couple of weeks ago but as soon as i clicked post i knew it was going no where so lets start again. My names Carl im 21 and live in Yorkshire, England. My poker background is pretty uninteresting playing for about3 years on and off like a fish never bothering to learn anything about the game. now im trying to reset my mind and start again.

I want to be a winner, we all have that in common right? at the moment money is not what im interested in right now i just want to take my seat and know ive got the ability to beat everyone around me into the ground :f_biggrin:

SNG's are what i like to play the most so thats what ill be doing starting at .50c games while i reprogram myself from fish to shark (i hope).

I love to challenge myself mentaly whenever i can, at the minute im trying to develop a super memory so far i can get someone to write 50-60 random objects in a list and recall them back to them in order without looking at it. with about 5 minutes studying the list i can remember upto 200 in order and with about 15 minutes study can remember which number in the list of 200 any random object was :s_cool: anyway enough of my geekyness i think poker will be the toughest mental challenge ive faced and im excited about all it may bring.

EDIT: Thought id add a bit about other hobbies for the personal touch :D i love driving but havent passed my test failed last week on one thing! im not a huge car buff but i love driving and one day i want an old mustang from the 60's or 70's to work on and cruise about in. Also cooking i love it, i love spending time and effort in the kitchen and seeing the peoples faces around eating and enjoying my hard work might include a few recipes in this blog from time to time so other people can try and enjoy it as much as me. I find making and eating good food is a good stress relief which i will probably need on this poker journey.

My goals for the moment are just to beat enough of the .50c and $1 games to be able to call my self a winner then we will move from there hopefuly up and up until i can start thinking about making some money from these games.

Wish me luck on my journey and thanks for taking the time to read.

P.S. not sure if ive missed any Blogessential info from here, if i have let me know.

Carl
  • 43 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      ok not a good start first 4 games prized in big fat 0 i know its only 4 games but we all like to get off to a winning start eh!

im going to try and post a converted hand or 2 now first time so if it doesnt work just remember im still learning!!

Absolute/UB Cereus No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (4 handed) - Absolute/UB Cereus Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) (t3730) BB (t1080) UTG (t5643) Button (t3047) Hero's M: 24.87

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q UTG bets t500, 1 fold, Hero raises to t3730 (All-In), 1 fold, UTG calls t3230

Flop: (t7560) K, 9, 5 (2 players, 1 all-in) Turn: (t7560) J (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t7560) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t7560

UTG shows KT

i had played this guy a couple times before had about 60-70 hands on him on my HUD and his vpip was around 85 lol and his pfr was quite high too id just seen him raise and call a push with Q7o and the same with J4 earlier on i pretty much had him on ATC and thought he would call a shove which he did but bad luck for me. did i play this ok or should i have just made a raise not shove or even just call and take it from the flop?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      ok that was a bit of a mess anyone got any help for converting hands?
    • Zemnieks11
      Zemnieks11
      Bronze
      hey! Here you can convert them http://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-hand-converter/
    • moodyuae
      moodyuae
      Bronze
      I would prolly raise that, and not push it.

Prolly make it 1500, cuz your both deep stacked, and maybe i can fold now if I see a king or an ace on the flop, you know?

But its just unlucky that the fellow calls your whole stack, with k-10. what an idiot.

But maybe im wrong, Iv also lost a hefty bit online.

So dunno.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Originally posted by moodyuae
      I would prolly raise that, and not push it.

Prolly make it 1500, cuz your both deep stacked, and maybe i can fold now if I see a king or an ace on the flop, you know?

But its just unlucky that the fellow calls your whole stack, with k-10. what an idiot.

But maybe im wrong, Iv also lost a hefty bit online.

So dunno.
      Well i was thinking about just raising but after seeing the absolute shit this guy was playing with i thought i should probably push knowing that he would call with nearly anything because winning that hand would have put me in great spot to finish first. Is this the right or wrong kind of thinking?

Oh and thanks zemnieks11 ill try some more hands using that now
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      Actually, with your reads on villain I think your shove is absolutely right.
      You want him to call with his random 2 cards against your QQ, you just got unlucky.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      hmm cant use the pokerstrategy hand converter will that be because im on cereus?

ok i would appreciate some thoughts on this,
      should i stick playing the normal turbos or the ultra turbos. as far as i can see the only difference is the rate the blinds change 2 minutes instead of 5. which will stop me playing medium hands in the early stages i think. Before you know it the blinds are high and its push/fold which i think im ok at i use the ICM trainer, ive been doing 3-400 hands on there before each session of proper play and score normaly anywhere between 92-96%.

I think with ultra's i should be able to keep concentration better with not so many hands etc but i dunno i might be thinking the totaly wrong way thanks for any feedback

Carl
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      I love to challenge myself mentaly whenever i can, at the minute im trying to develop a super memory so far i can get someone to write 50-60 random objects in a list and recall them back to them in order without looking at it. with about 5 minutes studying the list i can remember upto 200 in order and with about 15 minutes study can remember which number in the list of 200 any random object was anyway enough of my geekyness i think poker will be the toughest mental challenge ive faced and im excited about all it may bring.
      Seems like an interesting excersize.. i might try that sometime. Although in online poker you have notes so you don't need super memory :D

Well goodluck on your poker journey. I wish stars had $0,50 sng's ;) I will give you some good advice though.. having played and still playing at the micro limits for ages.

Just play solid ABC poker, it really is enough to win at the micro stakes. You don't need to make fancy plays or bluff alot. More likely if you use advanced strategies they will backfire since alot of players are donkey's. And ofcourse read alot of articles, especially the ones about blind stealing. Those have improved my sng game alot.
    • moodyuae
      moodyuae
      Bronze
      iv only played on absolute a bit, but the cash games there are awsome.

If you like sng's i think full tilts a better option.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi Carl,

Just wanted to wish you all the best with your blog & poker.

Will try to read your updates as/when I can.

Good luck & best regards,

Bart
    • Swire
      Swire
      Bronze
      Hello, welcome and gl in your quest to become a winning poker player :tongue:

Just to comment on your SNG play at these limits, i wouldn't bother contemplating whether a shove or a raise is good there. Its obvious imo.

Just some advice, make a chart for early stages of your SNG's, even Middle stages, therefore you can structure your play as against these fishes, they are going to call with basically any broadways in position etc.

Multi-table hard, structure your play, play tight, aggressive in position and don't tilt. Keep to that and you will move up limits in no time sir :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      hey all,

No real poker updates to bring you played a couple of games back to where i started for the day but i think im a blog addict now so thought id send some replies,

@ Hahaownedlolz, the memory thing isnt really for poker its just for fun to impress people and win bets lol.

@ moodyuae, your not wrong about the cash games i played some SSS there with some pretty good success it just bored me after a while, SNG's much more fun (for me anyway) but the cash games were pretty good alot of fish around these here parts. i know full tilt or pokerstars would be alot better traffic is pretty bad on cereus, at least on the limits im on, and im hoping to move to FT or stars pretty soon just now im here i want to build up enough of a BR to play maybe the $5's when i do move but not sure when ill move yet but dont want to make too small a deposit and miss out on a first deposit bonus and i cant really afford much at the min so i guess grinding is the way forward.

@ EagleStar88, thanks for the support and Good luck to you with your steps challenge i'll be following that one :D

and finaly @ Swire, Thanks, im trying to stick to all starting charts for now keeping everything simple the QQ was just one of many hands ill post to make sure im not making stupid mistakes and keep my head on the right lines. i think my biggest problem is the early phase and not folding low pairs and AJ+ from early position although i am getting better at realising they are pretty worthless in this phase from this position.

Ok so thanks all for support remember im coming into this wanting to be a total beginner again so keep the advice coming.

Carl
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Well tonight a friend of mine decided poker wasnt for him and gave me his BR on cake was only 24$ or something thats why he didnt just withdraw but it was nice to get i think im going to use it solely for playing the $1 30 man SNG's played 3 since i got the money came 2nd in one bubbled the next when my A9s shove from BU with 9bb's was called by 53s in the BB and he makes the straight obv. and the other my KK busted by A4, never mind chin up eh.

Anyway i think i like these tourneys so i was thinking of having one of them running while im playing my .50c games. Any thoughts? could this money on cake be spent more wisely?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      So then its day 2 of my new poker life not much volume so far as i took the chance to get out of my crap hole of a town for a day shopping with my girlfriend and her family. Was a really good day and put me in a good mood for some poker tonight.

I decided not to play on absolute tonight it was bringing me down cos i didnt really want to be there anymore so went for a change of scenery and used the cake money i acquired last night :D so far up $14 so thats 14 BI's obv and im pretty happy with the way ive been playing.

Still having trouble posting hands and have no idea how to add a new site to my PT3 so if someone can enlighten me i can start posting some graphs and stuff :f_love:

Well back to playing for tonight ill post again later with hopefuly some good results
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      so cake dont allow HUD's?? i really should get with the times eh!

Can i still run PT3 with cake to check my results and get stats, graphs etc? or will this be a no no too?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Ok so another ok day today up 6 BI's today and BR is upto $40 :D only a very small sample of games though as im finding it hard to play more than 2 games at once had to send my laptop back to be replaced so im on a not so good backup.

Graphs coming soon me thinks
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Nice, seems like you have had a little more luck than me today :)

Glad to hear about the succes, I will keep an eye on this blog and follow your carreer until you can afford to buy your own mustang with only a little bit of your BR ;)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Thank you Mugge i really hope that one day that will be an option one day.

Another good day today but not because of poker just a real good day with my GF and future in laws and some old school friends too won a bit of money from them recalling a pack of shuffled playing cards in order. The goal is to eventualy be able to remember 4 shuffled decks then ill win some real money from them :s_cool:

Cooked one of my favourites tonight too spaghetti and meatballs with tomato and chilli sauce. Perfect.

Hasnt left me much time for poker though only 5 games so far today but b/e and still playing 2 of them and time for a few more before bed.

I need to work on my late stage game i think, im bubbling far more than i would like. I find my self playing too tight and suddenly realising my stack is just blinding away but then i flip it and play too loose/trying to steal way too much. i use the ICM trainer and score anywhere between 90-95% over 300 hands before most sessions but cant seem to put it into practise, looks like i know what im working on now then
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      I have a similar problem.. I score the same as you in the trainer, and usually play quite good too I would say, but I've discovered that my bubble play sucks a little, playing too aggresive as a middle stack when I have enough room to wait for good spots waiting for the SS to burst, but I've been working on it and I'm sure it will come in time for me :) And definately it will come for you too.. With a mind able to remember as many patterns as yours you will soon enough know every single case in the ICM calculations :P