NL50 vs NL25 Advice?

• Effanongen
      Effanongen
      Bronze
      Hey there

As of right now I'm currently crushing the NL25 limit for 7.76 Big Blinds / 100 over a 150k hands sample, however it seems whenever I play NL50 I'm getting moved off my hands more often, and getting paid off gets increasingly more difficult. As per usual I play Rush Poker as it provides more hands per hour considering Full Tilt doesn't support 40+ tables, so a stat tracker is out of the question there.

- What's the major differences between NL25 and NL50?

Even though my NL50 sample is rather small (6k hands), are the differences so big that you could go from a very winning player (7.76 Big Blinds / 100) to a break even player by simply moving up but still playing the same game?

Currently I feel that I need to improve my stealing / restealing ranges and loosen up my preflop play in general, as preflop certainly is my weak spot. I don't mind stealing lightly, but when I get reraised I have no clue what to do with marginal hands. Are there any videos up on how to react to resteals without stats?

Any reply is appretiated, thanks for now.
  • 12 replies
    • PetterG2
      PetterG2
      Bronze
      It's all about adapting, even in rush-poker. I only have about 20k hands experience in rush, but in my experience you can still manage to get a feel on how loose/tight the general population of players are at different times. You should also place color-notes on players you have noticed tend to 3-bet loosely (did I spell it correctly?).

About your preflop-play: You should definity tighten up your steal range if you feel that you are getting raised a lot and are becoming uncomfortable due to this fact. I struggle(d) a bit with the same problem when I moved from nl10 -> nl25. I went from 35%+ steal (19% pfr) to pfr% + 4-12% depending on the game-flow and tableactivity. So far this is working for me :)

ps. I play non-rush short handed...
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      I find it hard to believe that a 7bb/100 winner on nl25 could have trouble winning at nl50 playing the same style. Maybe not as big, but still win
    • Swire
      Swire
      Bronze
      Well im not sure what to tell you.... I currently am taking shots at 100nl Rush, i think overall you just have to be aware of stack sizes when raising PF, adjusting to 3bets with PP's. I think once you play more hands you will get alot more comfortable, i mean im comfortable to raise pretty much any suited broadway hands from UTG e.g Q10s

Do you use stats? The question at the end of your topic, made me question if you really have played 150k at 25nl. Its unsual for someone of that calibre to struggle at the next limit.

Gl anyways, hopefully you got something from this hehe ;)
    • Effanongen
      Effanongen
      Bronze
      I'm not saying I'm struggling, its a very small sample, but it just seems that the general population at NL50 is stronger players than mostly every NL 25 player. So basically what I'm looking for isn't to win, I'm looking to make enough to make the step up worth it.
    • Effanongen
      Effanongen
      Bronze
      I currently don't use stats as I'm using poker tracker rather than hold'em manager, which I recently found out updates the hud after every single hand, so I might look into that, but currently doing fine without them.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      7 big blinds/100 or 7 big bets? Ie is your $/100 $1.94 or $3.88? If its $1.94 im afraid you arnt crushing NL25.

Now.....

You should be carefull not to put to much enfosice on the short term and 6k hands is just that. Maybe you play 1 session per day on NL50 and the rest on NL25 (for now). Forget about how good or bad your doing on NL50 for now. Then later on down the line when you have a big sarmple size you can make conclussions. The reasson i suggest play abit of NL50 but mostly NL25 for now is that it keeps your focus on the game and not win rates, also if your playing both limits you're more likley to notice what is infact diffrent.
    • Effanongen
      Effanongen
      Bronze
      If you want to show me how to extract more than 7/100 without stats, feel free to, but thanks for the advice, I'll try it.
    • Effanongen
      Effanongen
      Bronze
      Done with a lil 3 hour session, + 280$ on 2x NL50 4x NL25.

Although poker tracker (Which you can't really use during hands but rather after)
      insists on me being down 93.948$. Probably due to the problem in the full tilt hand history log.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Effanongen
      If you want to show me how to extract more than 7/100 without stats, feel free to, but thanks for the advice, I'll try it.
      I'm confussed how do you know your winning at X-amount/100 if you dont have stats ?(

Your welcome, i hope it does helo you in some way.
    • Effanongen
      Effanongen
      Bronze
      Even though the hud doesn't update in realtime I can still check it up after a session
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Effanongen
      Even though the hud doesn't update in realtime I can still check it up after a session
      The PokerTracker hud is most definitely real-time.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn
      7 big blinds/100 or 7 big bets? Ie is your $/100 $1.94 or $3.88? If its $1.94 im afraid you arnt crushing NL25.
      What? 7bb/100 is a really good winrate over 150k hands on any limit, if you really have it ;)

The rest of the advice sounds good though