[NL2-NL10] Nl10 Fr: AQ, A2, QQ

• wotar
      wotar
      Bronze
      3 hands against the same player. First hand was probably played fine by me, the last two I think I was too passive. Was there any right spot to get some information or to get out of hand?

Notes: likes to bet big on river, seen him lost such hand a while ago.

Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) - Cake-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

UTG ($10.14)
      UTG+1 ($4.51)
      MP1 ($6.71)
      MP2 ($7.60)
      Hero (MP3) ($9.92)
      CO ($25.36)
      Button ($5.05)
      SB ($9.15)
      BB ($8.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, Q
      UTG calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero bets $0.50, 4 folds, UTG calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.15) 4, 7, 10 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.70, UTG calls $0.70

Turn: ($2.55) 8 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($2.55) K (2 players)
      UTG bets $2.55, Hero folds

Total pot: $2.55 | Rake: $0.17
      Main pot: $2.55 returned to UTG

Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) - Cake-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

MP2 ($10.02)
      MP3 ($4.10)
      CO ($5.32)
      Button ($3.70)
      Hero (SB) ($9.01)
      BB ($24.53)
      UTG ($6.11)
      UTG+1 ($10)
      MP1 ($7.30)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2, A
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero bets $0.45, 1 fold, MP2 calls $0.35

Flop: ($1) A, J, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, MP2 calls $0.70

Turn: ($2.40) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, MP2 calls $1

River: ($4.40) 10 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $3.80, Hero calls $3.80

Total pot: $12 | Rake: $0.80

saw flop

UTG+1 ($15.27)
      MP1 ($4.10)
      MP2 ($5.32)
      MP3 ($3.70)
      Hero (CO) ($9.06)
      Button ($24.38)
      SB ($6.01)
      BB ($10)
      UTG ($7.45)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, Q
      UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 bets $0.45, MP1 calls $0.45, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.45, 2 folds, BB calls $0.35, UTG calls $0.35

Flop: ($2.30) J, 4, 9 (5 players)
      BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets $2.30, 1 fold, Hero calls $2.30, 2 folds

Turn: ($6.90) 6 (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $6.90, Hero calls $6.31 (All-In)

River: ($19.52) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $19.52 | Rake: $1.30
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Your notes don't seem that useful, tho I don't play at cake poker so I'm not sure whether you can actually see everybody's cards at showdown there. If you can't just ignore that comment mostly, otherwise make sure you take notes of just what he "likes to bet big on river" with. Especially if you saw him lose a hand, you at least know what he bet big on the river with was not good enough to beat whatever the winner showed down.

Rebuy to 100bb.

It's fine, turn 8 is a very bad card that somehow improves every hand that had a piece of that flop to begin with expect maybe clubs, but even those he's probably not folding to a 2nd barrel so it's no use wasting money without a better read in that spot.

His river pot bet is interesting because it somewhat polarizes the range of most players in that spot. They don't bet pot with anything for value that is less than Kx, maybe even 2 pairs, on that overcard river, which means you can actually bluff catch with AQ-high against clubs. One caveat tho, some players just don't care what they bet in that spot, so sometimes you'll get shown 4x hands bluffing or nonsensical bets with 8x-like hands that will luckily valuetown your bluff-catcher. If he's one of those players that often merges his ranges on the river, you usually do not want to try and bluff-catch in those dicey spots where he has a lot of one pair hands in his range.

A2o is a loose isolating raise out of position, it's probably better to just complete or pitch it considering that villain obviously isn't easy to play against postflop, as evidenced by hand #1.

As played flop and turn are fine. On the river I'm check/folding. We don't beat any top pairs, diamonds got there, any Qx hand has a straight, all pairs he could have called flop/turn with most likely improved to either two pairs or a straight as well. We just don't beat enough hands to continue in my opinion.

Hard to say anything for that hand since we don't have stats on him and we need a good reason to fold an overpair.

My first impression tho after hand #1 and #2 is that it's probably quite unusual for that villain to raise preflop over a limper and to just pot c-bet flop / jam turn. He seems more the type to get involved cheaply when he can and to play draws passively when given the choice, and his stack increased by half since hand #2 so he probably has no reason to be tilting either.

So in my mind he probably has JJ+ there a fair amount, it just depends on how tough a fold you're willing to make based on those considerations. Certainly can't fault you calling down, but folding is definitely better with the right reads against some of these players.

Hope it helps.
    • wotar
      wotar
      Bronze
      Thank you a lot for all the analysis. I think I have to learn how to get good notes on players - your thoughts on that player seems very accurate.

In second hand he had 78o, 3rd it was AA.

So I payed him pretty well :)