Climbing the limits: Mugge's SNG adventure

• Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Hi all and welcome to my blog!

Who am I?
      I'm Mugge, a 21 years old man from Denmark. At the moment I am just working a little to make some money to live for and to spend some time waiting for summer, when I will start studying. In my spare time (which i have ALOT of at this time) I run alot, and are going to participate in my 2nd marathon in a month from now. I have just moved to a new city beacause of the study, but I don't know a whole lot of people here yet, apart from my girlfriend whom I spend quite some time with too.

My Poker life
      I started playing a little poker back in the gymnasium with my friends for small stakes (always STTs). When I turned 18 I had already been looking at PS's offer and signed up shortly after to get my 50$+100$ and cleared it quite fast with SSS at Party. After a little while I got bored with the very basic SSS and decided to try my luck with something else. Tried BSS, SNG's and even a little FL, but I slowly lost interest for poker, partly because the results wasn't coming as fast as I had hoped for and partly becuase I had a quite busy schedule in my life at that time. So after making a few hundred bucks (mainly from bonus clearing) I stopped poker again. After a little while I began to miss it, and wanted to get back, but couldn't find the time in my life until now. And here I am!

Current Limits
      This time I have decided to focus on one format only, and hopefully improve my skills in that. I have chosen SNG's because I have always liked that variant and it is easy to take as long or short sessions as you want to.
      I've deposited 100$ and started playing the 1$ on party. Unluckily my account for some reason was no longer tracked to PS, and since I already had deposited 100$ it couldn't be redone. So for now I don't make any strategypoints, and as soon as I have the BR to take full advantage of one of the bonus offers PS provides I will switch pokerroom.
      I try to play a few hours a day, but of course it's not possible always, but I guess I play about 75-100 SNG's a week on average.

Goals and personal rules
      !UPDATE!
      May goals:
      :f_biggrin: Watch the rest of the videos available to me on PS.
      :f_biggrin: Train alot with SNG wiz before every session.
      :f_biggrin: Review all my late game play with the SNG wiz.
      :f_biggrin: Review at least one complete HH for ever session I play.
      :f_biggrin: Post trouble hands at the sample hands forum and take part in the discussions.
      :f_biggrin: Play at least 500 SNG's
      :f_biggrin: Switch to FT when I get too tired of PP or after the million dollar hand promotion finishes; whichever comes first.

I will move to the 3$ SNG when my BR reaches 150$!

I will try to update this blog regulary and post some interesting stories and hands.

Current BR: 115,8$

Thanks for reading so far, and good luck at the tables!
      Mugge
  • 13 replies
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      GL playing SnGs Mugge!

sounds like you know the basics. make sure you post any trouble hands you have in the sng hand review forums :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Cool Good luck with this

You said alot of the stuff i wanted to say in mine only alot better lol. i think our goals are pretty similar anyway so ill wish you luck again ill be keeping my eye on this.
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies!
      @ <3, Yes, I believe I know the basics but I still find myself in doubt while playing more than once each session - Most times I can just take a note at the hand and look at it afterwards and find out if I made the correct play or not. Often I get myself in trouble when blinds get very high (They only got turbos at this limit) and there are still alot of players in the hand - situations you cannot train with the ICM Trainer as for now - only plug them in and review them yourself. And then I seem to get too many 3rds when ITM, but my sample size is still too small to say anything. Running with a -6% ROI after 180 games surely isn't great, but luckily I have cleared a small bonus alongside so the total is still green.

@ ExternalUseOnly, If we both have the same goals and play on the same limits I got an idea: Why not "coach" each others a little? Review HH's from a whole SNG and discuss the articles etc? Could probably be a great help to us both :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      sounds like a bloody good idea to me ive been wanting someone to do this sort of thing with for a while now, although it might not be practical at the minute i dunno if you have seen the start of my blog but im only playing on absolute and cake atm. both of which are crap for SNG's (well the traffic anyway) and playing on a backup laptop with only the touchpad for a mouse until my laptops fixed but im pretty much stuck here until i build up enough of a bankroll to make a move to a site i can play more than 2 games at a time on lol.

If we can still work something out around this then cool lets do it but if not ill keep grinding till i can get to a better site and get back in touch? sound good to you?
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Sounds great to me, just let me know when you are ready to try it out :)

Had a sucky day at the tables, made some stupid mistakes myself but alot of the time it was just plain unluck: Pushing into top hands, losing flips, losing when i was big time favorite - Hard to get a first place when you lose 7 AI's in a row - The worst of the cases being a 45/55 dog and the best being ~70/30 favorite - Forgot to get the resume for the SNG unfortunately, would have liked to post it and calculate the odds of it happening :P But enough whining from me for now - There's a new day tomorrow with more material to read and watch :)

BR: 111,2$, total status:
      240 SNGs played
      1st: 28
      2nd: 23
      3rd: 32
      Total Profit from SNG's: -21,6$

So I definately got some things to work at, but I'm sure it will come slowly if I just keep practicing!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      well im ready to try it out whenever you are. What is it exactly we will be doing? might be a week or maybe 2 though. getting my main laptop back later this week until then im not really keeping any stats as i can only play a couple of games at a time so only managing between 10-15 per day (if im lucky, busy weekend)
      any way ive sent you a friends request if you wanna pm me some more details?

Anyhooo. i hate minus days sucks to be down especialy when you have been gettin ur chips in good. i think you got the right attitude to turn that red back into green go get them micro fish :D
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Played alot again today and found a few leaks in my game (was playing a bit too loose as a mid stack on the bubble and pushing a little too tight from the SB with semi high to high blinds!). I have improved a bit on both cases I think, nothing to brag about, but if I correct a few mistakes every day I should soon be back in the green numbers :) And even more important; Get my skill level up so I will be ready for the higher limits when the BR allows it. I have also read a few articles and watched the new steinek video: Every new SNG player should take their time to watch the series he is making atm, and even a little more experienced players can probably get something from them!

Won't play tomorrow though, my GF is done with an exam and we are gonna celebrate a little :f_love:

I have experimented a little in the very first hands, with being more willing to get AI PF with my strong holdings (QQ+, AK), even though I might be overraising some (the cases I refer to is when you already have a raiser and some limpers or mayer two raisers before you) with good experience; Raising the stasndard 3x first raise + 1 pr limper will often get you in a multiway pot, with a large pot already at the flop, leaving perfect conditions to go broke vs some strange holding from villain! And most time I get a call from a worse hand even when pushing AI, not winning always of course, but I only need about 55% equity vs his calling range to make it profitable which I almost always have in the very first hands where all the fish pushes rag.
      The question comes if it is the most profitable play: No! I'm sure it is better to exploit the opponents leaks in the postflop play, but at my skill level I think it's great to avoid marginal post flop decisions in a multiway pot with up to a third of your stack invested already, especially if I'm out of position! And doubling in the early fase is very nice as you can wait for better spots when the blinds gets higher, you get more FE and you wont become the SS anytime soon :)
      So I will keep experimenting a little with different options in the very early fases - It has to be very early, since the most "any ace-AI" players will bust or double up quite fast, making the stadard play the best line in most cases!
      One last note on the subject: It is of course only in the micro limits I believe this line can be profitable since the type of players willing to pay you off won't exist when climbimg the limits!

Had quite good luck with it today, and with a little more passive mid-stack bubble strategy and more aggresive SB pushes I was actually able to make a little profit; not a whole lot but every little is nice :) So the total stas are now:

300 games played:
      ITM 36%
      ROI: A whooping -6% (based on today only it has been ~+7%)
      Profit: -16,80$

A little funny hand showing what can happen at the tables:
      My thoughts was: Put pressure on the opponents, I would be happy taking it down already at the flop, but going on to the turn is okay too as the only cards I wouldn't wanna see are a Q or K of course, and I figured most people paying me off here would proably sit with some weird A-combination, or a pair with a K or Q kicker, hoping to hit their gutshot; only one hand had me beaten, and even against KQ I wouldn't be in all that bad with a 32% EQ on the flop and a 23% on the turn! All in all I think this hand played itself, and had I won I was more or less guaranteed a spot ITM!

$30/$60 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $1400.00
      UTG1 (Hero):
      $2000.00
      UTG2:
      $80.00
      MP1:
      $2000.00
      MP2:
      $1280.00
      MP3:
      $5280.00
      CO:
      $1920.00
      BU:
      $4080.00
      SB:
      $1960.00

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with T, T.
      Hero calls $60.00, UTG2 raises to $80.00(All-In), MP1 calls $80.00, 2 folds, CO calls $80.00, BU calls $80.00, SB calls $50.00, BB calls $20.00, Hero calls $20.00.

Flop: ($470) T, A, J (6 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $420.00, MP1 calls $420.00, CO calls $420.00, BU folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($1730) 6 (3 players)
      Hero raises to $1,500.00(All-In), MP1 calls $1,500.00(All-In), CO calls $1,420.00(All-In).

River: ($6150) Q (4 players)

Final Pot: $6150.
      Results follow:

CO shows a straight, queen high(9 8).
      Hero shows three of a kind, tens(T T).
      MP1 shows a pair of aces(A 9).
      UTG2 shows a straight, ace high(K Q).

CO wins 5,520 with a straight, queen high(9 8).
      Hero wins 160 with three of a kind, tens(T T).
      UTG2 wins 560 with a straight, ace high(K Q).

Thanks for reading, feel free to throw a comment if you've been reading all the way through it, heh :P
      Good luck at the tables, and remember, if in doubt: Push :P
      Mugge
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Had a great day yesterday with no poker, just chilling with my gf, celebrating that her exam was over for now :) But was back at the tables today and I guess it's more interesting to hear about :) :

Had a great day at the tables today, played a few sessions totalling 50 SNG's, and are up 10$ for the day :) Not long till the numbers start turning green again, and not long till the 3$ games. My BR's at 127,6$ atm. Clearing the last part of a bonus releasing 5$ tomorrow and hopefully winning a little could get my BR up to around 140$ if I got a little luck at the tables tomorrow again - And the magic mark is 150$.

Sucked out quite a few times today when needed and most of the times the suckouts on me was when I was the bigstack :) Had one especially sick SNG today: Took a beat early with AQs, running into limped aces and was down to 240 chips with 9 people left, blinds of 30/60 already and rising every 3 min, but got lucky on my AI's and in two AI's I was back to normal level again and managed to grind myself in the money (unfortunately still as the SS so busted out on 3rd).

Made a few retarded plays late in the session (which made me stop for today of course), but as long as one learns from his mistakes it's forgiveable :P Overall I'm quite satisfied with my play which has improved big time over the last days (my bubble game is way, way better, since I've finally realised how tight you need to be vs stacks who has you covered when there's a SS around) and I will of course continue improving my game with the help of all you guys on PS :)

For now I will review todays session and maybe post a few in the sample hand forum if I find some questionable plays :)

Good luck to all of you :)
      Mugge

P.S:
      350 games played
      Profit: -6,8$
      ROI: -2% (was -6% two days ago; would have been 9% if the rake had only been 10% instead of the disturbingly high 25% I'm playing at now)
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Just a quick update :) Been playing a little today, didn't have any luck with my HU game, but overall I'm quite satisfied with my game, will review a few tours later :)

Games:
      Profit: -5,8$ (not far from the green line anymore :)
      BR: 133,6$ (Hope I can make it to 150$ at latest during the million dollar hand promotion at party)
      ROI: -1%

I've considered switching to full tilt a little earlier than originally planned, since the rake at party is killing me. With a 10% rake instead of 25% My ROI would be 12%, my profits would be 40,88$ and then there would even be the rakeback bonus as well.

I would like some oppinions on switching to full tilt even though i havn't got the full 600$ to take full advantage of the sign up bonus :)

Good luck at the tables everybody :)
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Had a minor downswing over the 30 games played yesterday but nothing disturbingly..

I have decided to switch to full tilt sometime during May, but I think I will play a little more on party because of the million dollar hand promotion. Furthermore I have decided to invest in SNG wizard and will probably do so by tomorrow.. Now we're in a new month I might as well set some goals (again I'm not thinking that money-wise, more educational wise):

May goals:
      :f_biggrin: Watch the rest of the videos available to me on PS.
      :f_biggrin: Train alot with SNG wiz before every session.
      :f_biggrin: Review all my late game play with the SNG wiz.
      :f_biggrin: Review at least one complete HH for ever session I play.
      :f_biggrin: Post trouble hands at the sample hands forum and take part in the discussions.
      :f_biggrin: Play at least 500 SNG's
      :f_biggrin: Switch to FT when I get too tired of PP or after the million dollar hand promotion finishes; whichever comes first.
    • stiansk
      stiansk
      Bronze
      Switch from party! The rake will kill your bankroll
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      After a hard week at work with very little time for poker i'm back at the tables now :)

Ran hot today and managed to get back in the green zone even though i started out losing 6BI's.. I finally had a little luck when ITM so I could get some more 1sts instead of those 2nds and 3rds and was much appreciated :)
      Overall I'm pretty pleased with my game, although it is more or less ABC poker, with very little adapting to the different tables, but it will all come with practice and lots of hands I'm sure!
      Bought SNGwiz and I'm very pleased with it - Sure I make some mistakes, but most of the time it is in those borderline situations so I havn't found any major leaks in my end game yet, even though i need to loosen even more up from the sb (it's not many pushes I miss, but still maybe on average ~1 spot each game.

At the moment I'm still playing at party poker, and have decided to finish the million dollar hand I'm working on and then switch to full tilt afterwards - With a little luck I can switch in the middle of the week, but it depends alot on the amount of work, might end up being next weekend instead.

[A little real life]
      Sunday I'm going to run a ½marathon, as a warm up for the big one in two weeks, so I'm hoping to find out I'm fit for it, but it's hard to say untill you get pass the 3x km how ready you were, so I guess I will just find out when I'm there on the 23. May. At least I feel that I'm better prepared than last year when I ran my first one!
      [/real life]

The stats for now:
      SNGs: 476
      Profit: 1,6$
      ROI: An amazing 0% :P

And the funny hand of the session:

$200/$400 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $2670.00
      MP3:
      $3010.00
      CO:
      $2530.00
      BU:
      $3820.00
      SB:
      $1520.00
      BB (Hero):
      $1740.00
      MP1:
      $4710.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, J.
      5 folds, SB calls $200.00, Hero raises to $1,740.00(All-In), SB calls $1,320.00(All-In).

Flop: ($3260) 2, 9, 2 (2 players)

Turn: ($3260) 6 (2 players)

River: ($3260) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $3260.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of twos(A J).
      BB shows three of a kind, twos(3 2).

Thansk for taking your time to read my blog :) Please drop a comment if you have anything interesting to share :)
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Hello again..

I know it's been a long time since my last update, but been really busy so haven't played much poker last month, and failed my 500 SNG goal miserably :rolleyes:

The next month will be pretty busy too, but I think I will have a little more time than in may.. At least I will aim to play at least 150 SNG's in July..

I have finally switched to full tilt and topped up the BR a little so it's now standing at 200$. First impression: Sweet fish, juicy fish.. MMM FISH! And I also like the blind structure alot more than at party. It which gives alot more of the "deepstacked push/fold game" which is where I believe we have the biggest edge compared to our opponents!

I will get back to you with updates as I play some more.. The first days I will only be single tabling, to get really familiar with the software and then add some more tables :)