[NL2-NL10] top pair calling turn small bet

• cutegoldfish
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, J.
      2 folds, BU raises to $0.30, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.95, BU calls $0.65.

Flop: ($1.95) T, Q, Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.30, BU calls $1.30.

Turn: ($4.55) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.65, Hero calls $1.65.

River: ($7.85) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Final Pot: $7.85.

should i have bet the flop? could i have folded to that turn bet? should i have bet the river?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I'm fine with the way you played it without reads. We don't know what he calls 3bets with, so we don't know what he can bet on that turn either. Of course he could have Qx and bet smallish because you look like you have nothing. Most players wouldn't bet Tx but maybe he would, maybe he'd bet some draws he called the flop with. Probably he can do that with KK+ if he just called in position preflop and now he's somewhat scared of Qx check/shoving. I don't see a way around check/calling that bet without better reads.

I'm not betting the river, he's probably not calling with worse made hands unless he puts you on a busted draw and chooses to be a hero, and he's for sure not calling with any draw / air hand he bluffed at the turn with. He'll call with the few KK+ combos he has and we'll valuecut ourselves too, he'll call or raise with Qx as well.

Hope it helps.