[NL2-NL10] Good time to bluff?

• DecMate
      Full Tilt Poker $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em - 3 players - View hand 659523
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Hero (BTN): $6.28
      SB: $4.80
      BB: $6.67

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BTN with K :diamond: Q :heart:
      Hero raises to $0.17, SB calls $0.15, BB raises to $0.68, Hero calls $0.51, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.53) 6 :club: 4 :club: 9 :diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10

Turn: ($3.73) 7 :heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($3.73) 5 :spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $2.10, Hero raises to $4.50 all in, BB folds

He had been playing pretty tight. The reason i bluffed is because his range doesn't hit this board at all, and mine does (because i had been playing loose) and he woulden't raise aces / kings on that river because of the straight scare / everything else.
      Post you're critisism:f_biggrin:
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I agree that it's hard for him to have anything given that he checked the turn to begin with and then bet a "scary" river, he's basically repping that he made a random squeeze play with 8x. Some players will check the turn / bet the river with an overpair for whatever reason, and they'll talk themselves into calling the river jam getting 5:1 or something. If you really don't believe he'd do that, then he has a polarized range which means we're mostly trying to take him off very weak hands, which is reasonable even at microstakes, so I like your play as played.

That said, I'd often just bet the turn on that board when checked to, it's easy for him to have nothing and easy for us to have some piece, most players will fold the random Ax hands or weak pairs they squeezed with at that point. You can also check back the turn if you plan on betting most rivers when he checks again, thus announcing once again he probably has nothing, but you run the risk of making your hand look morel like busted clubs, which might induce lighter calls on the river from suspicious guys.

Hope it helps.