SSD / Raid-0 questions

• opal99
      opal99
      Black
      -1 Get a fast harddisk! (= more important than having a QuadCore over a DualCore processor!)
      ---x Preferably two+ SSD harddisks in a RAID-0 array. (fastest)
      ---x Or just one SSD just for your database and Windows (Intel X25-M G2 Postville)

hey guys;

I'm going to upgrade my PC (Phenom 9850 & 4 GB ram) by adding one or two SSD disks. Currently; I use 2 years old Hitachi SATA II for database and other stuff & few more years older Baraccuda for Win only (XP64).

My database has about 50 GB atm, but I can imagine I'll play on two+ rooms/networks soon, so it may get even bigger (although there's less traffic on higher limits, so it can be the same after all). Here are few questions:

1. Is it worth to buy bigger than 64/80gb disks? they seem to be quite expensive ^^

2. Is it worth to buy 2 64gb ones to RAID-0? How does raid work? is it considered to be one disk or still 2 smaller? (i'm noob so be gentle ;) )

3. Can I keep the old disk just for Win? Or will it slow down PC?

4. which disk/-s would you recommend me? Intel X-25M 80 GB costs about 215€ here, but there're 64gb disks from 145€.. Or what should I look at when buying SSD disk?

Thank you very much for the answers! :f_cool:
  • 18 replies
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by opal99
      1. Is it worth to buy bigger than 64/80gb disks? they seem to be quite expensive ^^
      They are only worth it if you are going to use the space. This is only because of the price really. If SSD's were as cheap as disk drives then you would just get a large hard drive because they are so cheap.

2. Is it worth to buy 2 64gb ones to RAID-0? How does raid work? is it considered to be one disk or still 2 smaller? (i'm noob so be gentle ;) )
      I don't really think you need to worry about RAID on SSD this is because RAID are so fast already you are not going to see a massive improvement from RAID 0 to having one large SSD.

3. Can I keep the old disk just for Win? Or will it slow down PC?
      You can have one disk for Windows but then you can't use RAID 0 because with RAID 0 the files are distributed across both drives to improve the speed.

4. which disk/-s would you recommend me? Intel X-25M 80 GB costs about 215€ here, but there're 64gb disks from 145€.. Or what should I look at when buying SSD disk?
      The Intel should be a nice SSD although I haven't read any reviews.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/195355
      http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160731

There are a couple of SSD to look at which are supposedly good.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      When getting SSD it's better to get the highly rated models, the cheap ones aren't really worth the trouble.

I remember Raid-0 being pretty unreliable. If you ever get any failures in one of the disks, your entire Raid setup is kaput, and you have to basically start from 0.
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      yeah, also cheap SSD sometimes just explode (virtually) and become a $100 brick...

different ssd have different write/read speeds too (much higher than disk drives) , but i still think they are not as reliable...
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jaime001254
      yeah, also cheap SSD sometimes just explode (virtually) and become a $100 brick...

different ssd have different write/read speeds too (much higher than disk drives) , but i still think they are not as reliable...
      SSD's are more reliable this is because they don't have any moving parts where as traditional hard drives have a rotating platter.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      the high end SSDs like the Intel X-25 are more reliable and perform better.

But some of the drives released earlier are pretty horrible and are very prone to data loss because of the way the drive handles data.
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      yep, some old drivers/ cheap ssd = BSOD / Drive not recognised within hours...

also keep in mind that SSDs are way slower after you write 100% of the drive (somewhere near 50% of memory use...)

i think SSDs are the future, just not this one... so far...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738/7

somewhat old (1 yr) but very interesting...
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Uh? Is it really worth going SSD for DB purpose?

In my opinion for such purpose you can still relay on the old school HDD and, if you really don't trust them, you can get 4x1TB Barracudas and set it raid 01, this way you still have the doubled up writing speed while writing comfortable back up copies.

You'll probably get 2TB of mirrored space available for 250€.
    • eteris
      eteris
      Bronze
      Originally posted by degre
      Uh? Is it really worth going SSD for DB purpose?

In my opinion for such purpose you can still relay on the old school HDD and, if you really don't trust them, you can get 4x1TB Barracudas and set it raid 01, this way you still have the doubled up writing speed while writing comfortable back up copies.

+1
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      and what's the point of this? I have one PC only for poker, so I won't use more than 100GB even if I try really hard ;)

and I can get great SSD disk for less than 250€ ;)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      thank you guys for all replies! =)

After reading that anandtech review (ty Jamie!) I decided to buy one 80 GB Intel X25-M and install XP64 & dtb on it... 215€ is acceptable price imo

@ lower speed after some time: although it's true, it's still MUCH faster than any HDD (see tests on anandtech)

If I find that 80gb is not enough, there's still space for another SSD disk to RAID-0... and no, higher failure rate of raid-0 is not a problem, because there wont be anything else but win+some applications and database - all handhistories are backup on other drive.

Is there anything else I should i think about?
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      oh; and another good thing about having just 1 SSD is that I can use it with my laptop if i'm out of city - simply boot win from there no need to worry about anything. They're supposed to be more resistant due to not moving parts..
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      and what's the point of this? I have one PC only for poker, so I won't use more than 100GB even if I try really hard ;)

and I can get great SSD disk for less than 250€ ;)
      Considering that you'll be running only SO + tables + DB 2 raid 0 HDDs would have worked pretty much at the same speed for half the price and without the risk of slowing performances if you start filling the drive.

My config was for a raid 01, hence 2TB striped with backup, if you don't want the backup and you dont need the space, you can still get 2x500GB to raid 0 for less then 100€.

Then obviously if money is not an issue and you want the top of the range, feel free to splash your Euros how you prefer :f_wink:
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Is there anything else I should i think about?
      You should have nothing but postgres/data on your SSD. Put everything else on a regular hard drive.
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      3x SSD's in a RAID5 Configuration would be your best bet... it's basically a 2x RAID 0 array, with the third drive acting as a parity drive, so if one of the drives blow, u wont lose any data. raid 5 is also slightly faster than raid 10 as well (and a boatload faster than 0+1)

personally, i use Corsair Performance Series SSD Drives
      http://www.corsair.com/products/ssd_performance/default.aspx
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      raid 0 as fast as SSD? yeah, maybe 25 raptors @ 10k rpm :P :P :P

i think that intel is a smart choice, but if you run out of space there is no need for raid 0... just having 2 disks may work too...

XP & DB will start lightning fast too... damn now i want a SSD too :P
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      degre: no way it's comparable :f_mad: I'm not going into details why i need REALLY fast disk/-s for poker though..

tokyoaces: Are you sure? I wanted to run Win from the same disk (so just win + postgresql, nothing else) - wouldnt it be a bit faster than win on few years old 7200rpm HDD? XP64 is not that big if you install just that without any "useful" additions...

AlCaTrAzzALZ: :f_biggrin: I can imagine it, but can't afford it.. or better to say: dont want to hit my BR that hard ;)

Jaime001254: raid would be better because if the database is close to 80gb, i have problem..
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      tokyoaces: Are you sure? I wanted to run Win from the same disk (so just win + postgresql, nothing else) - wouldnt it be a bit faster than win on few years old 7200rpm HDD? XP64 is not that big if you install just that without any "useful" additions...
      I just wouldn't want things like the page file and other random temp junk hitting my SSD. Obviously the only way to be 100% sure which one was faster would be to try both setups.

So I haven't tested it, but I certainly think its worth checking out.
      Bronze
      Why would you be using anything that is not windows 7 on a 64 bit system??

The performance increase is stunning.

As an example 2 people bought cheap e-machines from walmart that came with vista 64 on them.

Dam things were slow as all hell and nearly useless for anything more than email.

Wiped them both and stuck Windows 7 on them and voila the little crappy computers can outperform
      their old selves at least at 2-1.