UTG+1 alipi77 ($2)
      MP1 maurele ($2.04)
      MP2 lastmakc ($1.56)
      CO Alternie12 ($1.33)
      BTN sunastian ($3.19)
      SB Hero ($4.62)
      BB salvador5000 ($3.67)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03, 8 players) Hero is SB A K
      LaurencePoker calls $0.02, 4 folds, sunastian calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.14, 1 fold, LaurencePoker folds, sunastian calls $0.12

Flop: 2 J K ($0.32, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.22, sunastian calls $0.22

Turn: A ($0.76, 2 players)
      Hero checks, sunastian bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

River: Q ($1.96, 2 players)
      Hero checks, sunastian bets $1.50, Hero folds

Final Pot: $3.46

sunastian wins $3.33 (net +$0.87)

Hero lost $0.96
      LaurencePoker lost $0.02

Villain: VPIP- 19 PFR- 11 AF-1.7 Hands: 30

My check on the turn was actually a mistake, was planning on betting out again. Roughly the same amount he bet. This really threw me off and I didn't know what to do after that tbh.

What should I have done after he bet the turn?

And also if I bet the turn and he called, what to do on the river?

Many thanks
  • 2 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      pre flop - good raise to isolate

flop - good bet

turn - the idea here is to go all in

ill prefer a protection bet of about 0.7-0.9 of the pot. there are possible flush draws there and possible gutshots, meaning the board is now rather drawy. any1 calling you here is likely to be holding an Ace or king or 2 pairs and if they are calling that bet size will not chase them away. you want flush draws and gutshots here to be paying too high a price to see the river.

you also cant be sure that opponent is going to bet into you. he could have checked behind for a free card.

as played, i would prefer a check raise line( all in for value). top 2 pair is strong enough for that. this is assuming opponent is rather loose and likely to have ace or 2 pairs more often than a set.

river - bad river card. flushes have completed. straights have completed. i will like to lead out for a bet about half the pot here. worse hands like aces or lower 2 pairs would call here. flushes and straights are going to re-raise you.

if you check, a 2 pair might bet into you and you would have no information.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

The general idea you should have about guys playing 19/11/1.7 or the likes (even over a small sample) is that they usually suck at valuebetting, at least they don't valuebet as thin as you do, and they're not aggressive enough to get all (semi-)bluffy once you check to them either. So the range of hands they will call your bets with is usually a lot weaker than the range of hands they will bet with when checked to, which means when you have a strong hand you automatically screw yourself over by not betting into them in most cases. For those reasons, just bet the turn by default.

That said, the real question here is what to do when such a player jams over your turn bet. They usually aren't aggressive to the point of shoving pair+gutshot / Jx with clubdraw hands, and often they won't shove AJ either in fear of QT. So as sad as it sounds, unless you have some outside read about him making weirdly thin value shoves or random spazz raises with combo hands, you'll get shown AK/QT/sets more often than not. When he just calls the turn you're usually in okay shape so you can valuebet most rivers and likely avoid 4-straight ones.

As played on the river I very much doubt he's bluffing, it's really hard for him to have called the flop with a hand that needs to bluff two streets there, especially for a guy who doesn't look like he should be bluffing much. Maybe he's betting two pairs if he's really bad but again, what two pair hand can he bet on the turn that is still happy given that 4-straight backdoor flush river card? Imo he has a T and probably QT since I can't really see him betting the turn with another Tx hand and it's hard to have the flush unless he has JcXc, which he might not bet the turn with either.

Hope it helps.