This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] over pair calling river bet

• cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):
      $10.27
      CO:
      $12.16
      BU:
      $7.14
      SB:
      $5.00
      BB:
      $3.95
      UTG2:
      $10.00
      MP1:
      $10.62
      MP2:
      $16.70

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J, J.
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.25, Hero raises to $0.90, CO folds, BU calls $0.90, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.65.

Flop: ($2.85) 5, 8, 5 (3 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.70, BU folds, MP2 calls $1.70.

Turn: ($6.25) 3 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($6.25) 9 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $2.50, Hero calls $2.50.

Final Pot: $11.25.

should i have bet the turn? that way i would make the pot a little too big for my hand?

could i have folded that river bet? are there enough worse hands that could make a bet in that position?
  • 3 replies
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      Lol, Im gg all in asap, makes no sense to 3bet, n then get scared to ship it in with ur flop n holdings. If u dont dare to ship such boards, what boards then u go all in? When u hit the j?? Then u should 3bet every other pp n hope to hit set. I really dont like the way u check the turn n bet on he river whem flush completes.
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      pushing the turn is the way... fishes will pay u off with fd, overpairs and sometimes even with AQ+ often enough to make this move +ev...
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Gregor86
      pushing the turn is the way... fishes will pay u off with fd, overpairs and sometimes even with AQ+ often enough to make this move +ev...
      This. That's basically the worst card in the deck on the river since he boats up 99, and make both the 76 straight and all heart flushes. If you're going to call a bet on the worst river card ever against villain's betting range, you're clearly better off betting the blank turn card instead to get value out of his check/calling range which is going to be much weaker.

One small concern tho, if MP2 is a tag it's possible that he sometimes does not 4-bet KK+ to keep BU in the pot, even if most of the time he'll end up raising your flop c-bet with those hands. Probably not that relevant here, but something to keep in mind.

Hope it helps.