[NL2-NL10] overpair folding to river bet

• cutegoldfish
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9, 9.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.35, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.35, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.85) 4, 3, 2 (2 players)
      MP1 bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60.

Turn: ($2.05) 7 (2 players)
      MP1 bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10.

River: ($4.25) 5 (2 players)
      MP1 bets $2.65, Hero folds, MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.25.

should i have re-raised the flop for protection? there could be flush draws and straight draws(unlikely)

should i have called the turn? or should i have re-raised?

should i have called the river? thought straights have completed, it was unlikely he was holding on to a 6.
  • 2 replies
    • supeyrio
      He only needs an ace to beat u. Raising the flop is an option but i would prefer to check call n fold the river like hw u played. Gd play
    • MaestroOfZerg

It's fine, putting so much money in and folding usually as bad as it looks. The board doesn't change very much, but villain's betting ranges change. Most people are still c-betting most hands on that flop, but few will actually barrel that turn without a decent overpair or a good draw. So the only question is whether you think is loose enough to bet a hand you beat on the turn.

I routinely just fold middling overpairs on those turns against some players, because I've seen them start check/calling the turn with hands as strong as TT, so when they bet again I have no problem folding 99 since their range is well defined as very strong and I know they'll bet the river again. So putting in dead money just to fold on the next street is quite bad in that case.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you villain just doesn't care much about board textures and he's just a bluffing machine, by any means call the turn with your overpair and call a lot of river cards as well. That particular river card is a bit nasty, since everybody "semi-bluffing" with an A suddenly gets there, you can probably let it go this time.

Hope it helps.