which order should i learn things?

• davehate
      davehate
      Bronze
      hey guys,

im a complete noob but i really love poker and want to become a great player.

i completed the sng quiz and have since played and lost my $50 capital. i added another $20 and burned through that again. apart from brushing up on my BRM (and patience at the tables!) i was wondering if im even ready to be playing for real money. Ive been playing double or nothings, and sng tournaments of various sizes.

so i guess i wanted to know because there is SOOO much info on this site what order should i be working through the articles?

eg at the moment im working through 'the Bubble Factor' and am finding it a little difficult to put into practice. Should i go back and learn Fl and stuff first? i feel like i might be skipping ahead, or on the wrong track. is it too early to consider coaching?

thanks
  • 16 replies
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      BRM is crucial, you are never supposed to go broke. At the beginning, stick to the starting hands charts. AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ may seem very strong hands, especially when one sees other players win huge pots with them, but most of the time when facing a raiser you are doomed. Other common leak is to be chasing draws, especially with one card. The SNG is a mathematically solved game; what PStrategy has done is to lay it out nicely so that everyone can play as close as possible to a perfect game.

Of course, the odds tell you that a lot of times you're gonna lose. If you could win every game, no one would play. Keeps studying, download the ICM trainer and practice a lot with it. And remember that a good hand to push is not as strong as a hand to call a push. Depending on the situation, it may be fine to push with A7 but not call a push with it.

My other advice would be to think that every chip lost is worth more than every chip won. The SNG is all about survival first, and then go for the win. Post hands in the forum, as coaches as well as other players will give you great advice.

Keep it up!
    • FishDan11
      FishDan11
      Bronze
      Hi davehate,

Nice to see you here :)

Sorry to hear about your losses - as you already have realised yourself, tight BRM and sticking to the basic rules (especially at the beginning of your poker career!) is crucial.

Here is my advice:

Don't bother with Double or Nothings. If you want to play SnG's then play single table 10 player (i.e. Full Table) SnG for now and follow the instructions in the related strategy articles religiously. Even if sometimes you might think you know better - stick to what they tell you to do and you'll be reaping the rewards before you know it ;)

I suggest you print out the starting hand chart and the other charts for quick access.

Read articles in the order they are posted within the sections and in this order:
      1. http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sss/#basic
      2. http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sss/#bronze

And to answer your question of whether you're ready playing for real money (I know you mean cash games ;) !) - remember that even though you're using chips in SnG's, it's still real money that you're putting on the line but also real money you can win.

Whether you want to play SnG's or Cash Tables is a different story - I'd suggest to hone your skills and patience with SnG's to start with :)

Hope that helps!

Good luck :)
    • FishDan11
      FishDan11
      Bronze
      Aquaman replied whilst I was typing the above hehe - I also agree with everything he says! Downloading the ICM Trainer is a great idea as well!
    • davehate
      davehate
      Bronze
      thanks heaps guys. appreciate your help.

hey FishDan this confused me though....

Originally posted by FishDan11

Whether you want to play SnG's or Cash Tables is a different story - I'd suggest to hone your skills and patience with SnG's to start with :)

define cash table for me.
    • qwery1
      qwery1
      Bronze
      Post hands and ask questions, read another player hands and questions. If you dont know how to post hands I can learn you that.

This is best equity what you can have in poker -> sweat equity after you played session :-)

GL
    • Bezeal
      Bezeal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by davehate
      thanks heaps guys. appreciate your help.

hey FishDan this confused me though....

Originally posted by FishDan11

define cash table for me.
      Hi davehate

I dont have much more to add, but i will try to define the difference between cash game and SNG.

Cash game
      You sit at a table and the stack consist of your own money. The blinds are constant and doesn't get higher.
      Example - You choose to play a cash game with blinds of $0.50/$1.00. You take $100 of your BR and sit at the table. The blinds will be constant with the small blind on $0.50 and the big blind on $1.00.

At a cash game, you can choose yourself how much money to take to the table (there are minimum and maximum restrictions though). You can also leave whenever you feel like it.

SNG
      These are small tournaments. There is a buy-in which every participant pays. This buy-in is then collected into a price pool. When the SNG is full (for example in a full table 10-man SNG, when 10 people have registered), the SNG will start and everyone gets the same amount of chips. The blinds start low and increase every set period of time. When you loose all your chips you are out. Given the payout structure, a number of the top finishes will then get a percentage of the price pool.

Hope this is clear enough.
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze

Don't bother with Double or Nothings.
      +1
    • davehate
      davehate
      Bronze
      thanks guys.

hey one more question for you pokerstars players...

i have run out of 'play money' how can i obtain more for my sng 'play' games?
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      Ugh, don't know, but seriously, play money will not fix your game. If you don't want to deposit again, fine. In fact, while I was waiting for the initial deposit, I played freerolls and won a couple of dollars. Also, I had opened an account at FT before joining PStrategy in which I had virtually gone broke, had only $0.30 left. Started playing freerolls until I earned enough to play sng's again. I barely play on FT, but at this moment I have around $200 laying there.

Google the Ferguson experiment, from 0 to 10k... It is possible.

Keep studying and have a lot of patience and discipline.
    • simm1
      simm1
      Bronze
      thanks guys.

hey one more question for you pokerstars players...

i have run out of 'play money' how can i obtain more for my sng 'play' games?
      go to cashier and press reload play chips, gives you 1000 new :)
      play chip games can be fun sometimes to just play for fun and not care about loosing :P
    • davehate
      davehate
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AquamanBT
      Ugh, don't know, but seriously, play money will not fix your game. If you don't want to deposit again, fine. In fact, while I was waiting for the initial deposit, I played freerolls and won a couple of dollars. Also, I had opened an account at FT before joining PStrategy in which I had virtually gone broke, had only $0.30 left. Started playing freerolls until I earned enough to play sng's again. I barely play on FT, but at this moment I have around $200 laying there.

sorry im a noob, what is a freeroll?
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze

sorry im a noob, what is a freeroll?
      A freeroll is a tournament where you can register for free.

If you check in you poker room under tournament you'll see a tab called freeroll or bankroll builder, these are tournaments that offer you a prize made of money, access to a following step where you can earn money or points for your poker room that you can use for either bonuses or registering to other tournaments.

As for the play money tables just forget about those, the game done there is completely insane and wont do any good if you want to learn.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      first strategy, then bankroll management
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      I beg to differ...BRM is the most important thing, in fact, as well as for everything in life besides poker. You can learn and practice as long as you have a bankroll. If you're broke, good luck learning at the bingo tables.
    • FishDan11
      FishDan11
      Bronze
      I beg to differ...BRM is the most important thing, in fact, as well as for everything in life besides poker. You can learn and practice as long as you have a bankroll. If you're broke, good luck learning at the bingo tables.
      +1 from me!

We're talking absolute beginner level here and without good BRM the strategy cannot be applied long enough to learn...

@Bezeal: Thanks for jumping in with the explanation re Cash and SnG further up :) Spot on!
    • simm1
      simm1
      Bronze
      says the guy who just had to drop down from hundreds to 11$ tourneys to not go broke :D