Starting hand chart.

• Dead75Money
      Dead75Money
      Bronze
      Ok, the starting hand chart is based on the pure math of poker I think, yes?

I would have a hard time laying down some of those hands. Especially later in a tournament, I mainly play tournament poker as I am a terrible cash game player but I may give ring games another go using the this starting hand chart.

I wish I had found this hand chart yesterday as I was busted out of a large tourney in the top 5% out of a 6k entrants. I still cashed but I busted out on AQ if I would've had the chart I would've known to fold the damned thing.

I always seem to bust out on hands like AQ and JJ. I almost always make it into the money wit ha decent stack as I play tight/aggressive normally but always seem to bust out on silly hands like these that I should fold according to the hand chart.

Should I fold if the hand chart says so even if I have a good read on my opponent? Or is it better to just fold and play it safe?

I'm some what frustrated by not being able to make it into the big cashes. I always seem to make it into the money then bust out with about 5-7% of the field remaining. I never blind out as I adopt the push/fold strategy so I usually bust out with a decent stack most of the time I'm right around the average.

I want to win or at least final table.
  • 6 replies
    • simm1
      simm1
      Bronze
      im not sure if you played bad by playing AQ late in a tourney, if you could post the hand, we could see how it played and what blinds was etc.
      Im not sure if you can still follow a starting hand chart so late in a tourney, but need to check out how this chart look myself
    • Dead75Money
      Dead75Money
      Bronze
      The starting hand chart is on one of the videos here. Some Aussie in a cash ring game was using the chart. It was a video about being short stacked.

Perhaps the chart is only for cash games or some such, I have no idea. I am terrible at cash games for some reason.

I have no idea how to get my hand history from PS so I'll just tell you.

Blinds were about 1k/2k I was on the BU with AQ 2 ppl just call I made it 3 to go and they both called Flop comes up Ac3dQc.

I bet 2/3 the pot as I was trying to get callers, one folds the other shoves so I shove. He had AK on the turn comes a King and the river doesn't help so I'm out. I had around 32k in chips I think he had 45k

I always seem to get busted like this.

I guess I could've raised bigger Pre flop then he may have shoved and I could've folded, this is the only thing I could think of that I could've done differently.
    • simm1
      simm1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dead75Money
      The starting hand chart is on one of the videos here. Some Aussie in a cash ring game was using the chart. It was a video about being short stacked.

Perhaps the chart is only for cash games or some such, I have no idea. I am terrible at cash games for some reason.

Blinds were about 1k/2k I was on the BU with AQ 2 ppl just call I made it 3 to go and they both called Flop comes up Ac3dQc.

I bet 2/3 the pot as I was trying to get callers, one folds the other shoves so I shove. He had AK on the turn comes a King and the river doesn't help so I'm out. I had around 32k in chips I think he had 45k

I guess I could've raised bigger Pre flop then he may have shoved and I could've folded, this is the only thing I could think of that I could've done differently.
      for the first thats just a cooler, and unfortunantely it keeps happening.

Preflop you should definantely raise more, make it ar least 3bb + 1 per limper = 10k, then the pot would be at least 25k, 35 if the other guy also calls.

on flop, bet 2/3 is good bet for value, if you had raised 10k pre, then you would have 22k left in a 25 or 35k pot, and then you could just had shoved it in, though he would prob call anyway, and to loose is just bad luck.

as for his play, i really dont get why he would ever limp - call AK in that situation :P

to get the hand histories for pokerstars, go to your install folder, and HandHistory. there all your hand histories are saved. also u can in PS client press "Requests" -> Tournament history and hand history.
    • Skyscrapers
      Skyscrapers
      Bronze
      I want to win or at least final table.

everybody does
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      The starting hands chart is just that.. a chart which will helps you understand what you should and shouldn't play. It doesn't mean you should play by it exactly.

We really can't tell if you played the hand right or not without seeing it.. I suggest posting the hands. in the sample hands forum

although in the tournaments i have played. the average stack was still quite alot. So if you still had 10+ BB there is really no reason to risk it all on an average hand
    • oxygenwong
      oxygenwong
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dead75Money

you played correctly, expcet that playing good doesnt mean you will win inpoker, sometimes, especially in tournament, luck is an important factor and badbeating is always better than playing good.