PokerStars DoNs

• MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Hey guys,

I've just noticed that DoNs on PS have different rakes as Turbo and Normal speed. I am currently playing 10$ DoNs and Turbo ones have a rake of 40c while normal speed has a rake of 80c. I've just recently switched from cash games to SnG's and im wondering what you guys prefer to play and whats the difference betweeen turbo and normal ones. As far as i understand it in turbos blinds go up faster.

Thanks for your answers.
  • 5 replies
    • sk345di
      sk345di
      Global
      It's just that blinds go up faster so you have less time to realize your edge over weaker opponents (they have less time to make mistakes because of decreased number of hands played in the tournament as they last only half as long as the normal ones)
      I played the turbo ones because although you may have a bigger ROI in the normal ones you get better $per hour in the turbo ones and they fill up a lot faster(if you multitable this matters a lot)
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      just play the turbo ones, pretty sure your edge in the normal ones don't really matter since the rake is higher.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      I say play the turbo ones: I havent played many normal ones but I think

1) more $/hour

2) I am not sure whether you can really exploit your edge in a DoN in general, and I also don't think that the longer blind levels add such a big bonus to your skill-exploiting that it worth paying the double rake

3) I think unexperienced/bored/unpatient(which is a very nice form of tilt) players would rather come for the turbo ones as they see it as "easy money". I don't have any experience on this (well I can't compare to the normal ones as Ive played like 2, and found them pretty boring), but there are a lot of bad players around... I mean, of course occasionally it happens that you really have to struggle on the bubble with a few low-limit regulars, but I have seen people call allin from not a significantly big stack with 64o not even near the bubble, and I have actually once arrived ITM without playing a single hand. These are ofc extreme examples, but I think turbo ones are just fine. Even though my sample size isnt big enough for stating any general thruths or anything...
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      I tested playing double or nothings for a while but found them unprofitable. Too little profit for the time spent (ie an hour and half to not even double your money). I think they only engross Pokerstars rake collection, since they take 1/2 or 1/3 of your profit on most sessions. I think normal SNG or MTT or cash tables are way more profitable. Just my experience, as in everything I'm sure there are players whose playing styles might find these most profitable.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      "I tested playing double or nothings for a while but found them unprofitable. Too little profit for the time spent (ie an hour and half to not even double your money). I think they only engross Pokerstars rake collection, since they take 1/2 or 1/3 of your profit on most sessions. I think normal SNG or MTT or cash tables are way more profitable. Just my experience, as in everything I'm sure there are players whose playing styles might find these most profitable. "

As I said, it needs different playstyle, different skills. However, 59-60% won tournaments can be done if you make good decisions. That means $70-$80 profit/100 DoN. (please note that I'm talking about $5 turbo DoNs, Ive seen a few graphs on people who have played a lot of those. Higher the level, lesser the winning %)

If you can play 6 DoNs an hour (which is absolutely doable if you play only 4 tables at once and not in "blocks", so if one ends you start another one right away) then lets say it takes 16-17 hours to play 100 DoNs. Thats between 4.1 and 5 $/h.

And that is done playing 4 tables only! Even the most beginner player can play 4 DoNs! If you find it a little bit harder but want to 6-table, it makes it more easy to start 3, then start another 3 in 15 minutes. It makes it less likely to reach the bubble on too many tables at once.

Also, the longer session you play the better your $/h is, since it is possible (actually, likely) that in the end of your session you play 1 or only 2 tables at once because the other ones have already ended. The longer the session is, the less downtime you get like this.

All in all, lets say one isn't perfect in DoNs and can only play 4 tables at once and makes approx $4/hour. I don't think that anyone with a $200-$300 bankroll should complain about such winnings, but I might be wrong. That means you raise your bankroll by 1-2% per hour, I think thats good. Might not be great, but hey - why not try maximizing the profits with other games after you have built up a solid bankroll "the easy way". (at least its better than what the job paid me last summer :P well, its true that I can't do this 12h a day :P )