Purchase HEM or go without

• Jeffers16
      Jeffers16
      Bronze
      Basically I've just used 2 trials for HEM, I have 2 computers I can play on. With stats I felt I have been playing much better and I have been winning quite consistantly.

I will hopefully move up to NL5 soon and am wondering whether it would be worth buying it. I mainly just use the stats to keep track of what types of players I have on my table as at these limits people come and go all the time and I feel it just makes it easier to recognise people and keep up with their play.

I have seen people say that at low limits its better to play without, is this just because people get to reliant on them? If so I think I do try and watch the game as much as possible and do make notes on specific plays etc.

Thanks
  • 13 replies
    • drawback
      drawback
      Silver
      HEM is +EV$ on any limits. Even just because u can analyze your game and keep track of ur graphs and winrate!
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Why wasting money (whole bankroll) on HEM @ NL2 or 5? Go with Elephant!

Even though no one will argue that HEM & PT3 are better than Elephant, it's more than enough for micro stakes imo.. And it's for free ^^

So, my advice is: click here and enjoy :f_cool:

Good luck at the tables!
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      If money is not a problem for you why not? I do think you should use HUD stats to help you make decisions. But really don't rely on them alot, People can always make plays that they shouldn't do or just bad plays in general. And if you start thinking like he must be bluffing because the board are all low cards and his range is very tight, you could be losing alot of money on what otherwise would have been an easy fold.
    • irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      I bought HM before I came to PS, I REALLY like it, but I wish I hadn't as for right now Elephant would suit me to the ground. I don't fully utilise the software as I don't understand it all, or some of the stuff isn't relevant for my sample size/level.

So in summary, use PS Elephant, then when you move up the levels and want a deeper analysis buy HM.
    • Jeffers16
      Jeffers16
      Bronze
      Thanks for the answers.

Yeah will definately go with Elephant for now, completely forgot about that. And will then maybe invest in HEM at a later stage!
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Hello Jeffers16,

As other people in the read have said HEM is quite expensive for someone like yourself who is playing 2NL. I recommend that you take a look at PokerStrategy Elephant.

Best regards,

Toby
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      I have HEM, just curious what the limitations to a non-licenced Poker ele is?
    • insonoro
      insonoro
      Bronze
      I'm getting it for free thanks to their "get it free" promo, it's quite easy to get it quickly if you play at least NL5 or NL10 (better) cash game

PS: I would never pay 54$ for a poker tracking software right now, considering I play NL10.
    • insonoro
      insonoro
      Bronze
      I've been playing a long time without stats on Cake Poker and other sites, imo it is a good thing to learn to play without stats, just because you learn the basic moves and strategy.

So that when you start to use stats, you really figure out that there are moves that may be much more EV+ in certain situations.. and sometimes realize how much money they make you save in other situations. It's like realizing that you NEED some further information. This imo might seem stupid, but as a beginner it wasn't obvious to me that I needed so much more information during the play.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Personally I've got my small stakes license but I'm using mainly as a database to keep track of all and review my hands.

A bit due to my pc being slow, 4/6 tables with HUD and I'm close to kill it, partly as I've tried to play with the HUD but I still don't know well what all the stats really mean, so for the moment I'm studying my play and trying to understand what all mean, then I'll start using the HUD when those numbers will have a proper meaning.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by insonoro
      I'm getting it for free thanks to their "get it free" promo, it's quite easy to get it quickly if you play at least NL5 or NL10 (better) cash game

PS: I would never pay 54$ for a poker tracking software right now, considering I play NL10.
      1. it's not good idea imo, because you are now tracked to them forever and will never be able to create new account on that room with any other affiliate. The value of being tracked is usually higher than the value of getting one time gift worth few dollars.

2. that's why you can use Elephant (which is for free) - it's enough till NL50 for sure and that's the limit where you can buy better tracking software without damaging your BR.

Just my thoughts ^^
    • insonoro
      insonoro
      Bronze
      Originally posted by opal99
      Originally posted by insonoro

1. it's not good idea imo, because you are now tracked to them forever and will never be able to create new account on that room with any other affiliate. The value of being tracked is usually higher than the value of getting one time gift worth few dollars.

2. that's why you can use Elephant (which is for free) - it's enough till NL50 for sure and that's the limit where you can buy better tracking software without damaging your BR.

Just my thoughts ^^

1) Yes, that's true, but I thought that could be worth it, considering that the bonus was nice and that no rakeback offer is offered on that room (but just a VIP system)

2) unfortunately I'm playing on a mac and, though I've spent a lot of time trying to make elephant work on the windows in VMWare, it keeps being buggy and crashing :(
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      You could just sign up to a pokerroom you will never play at again and get the bonus there.. there are plenty of poker rooms to play on..