Poker startout

• daunker
      daunker
      Bronze
      I`ve played a moderate amount of real life poker and now decided to take it up online using the free $50 from PS.

Playing headsup tournaments at levels of $6 then $10 has let me build my bankroll to $509 with the $100 bonus also now having been credited.

Now I am at $500 I am considering moving up to the $22 games.

I`ve done very little reading on the PS site, except for a little on bankroll management, but it is mostly for cash games. Is my move to $22 games reasonable?

The other question I have is does anyone know approximately how much rake per month you have to contribute to get into the top 50 on PS. I am obviously some way short now, but would be keen to find out if it is a reasonable objective.

I find my game well suited to headsup tournaments, but I guess if I play tighter I will also be able to get myself into these positions in larger tournament games- does anyone else have any experience of this and will they be more profitable?

Also if anyone has any recommended reading please let me know.

I have yet to try multitabling I am not sure I will be able to handle it- and think it will affect my game play- does anyone have any tips?
  • 3 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi daunker!

Nice story! I hope you keep doing well. But I think you have to be more conservative with your bankroll. Normally you need at least 50 buy-ins for a SnG level. If your bankroll is $500 I recommend that you play Heads-up at most $10.
      Concerning your question about our Top50 promotion: Here is a ranking: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/pokerstrategy/995/
      If you want to play tournaments I strongly recommend that you read Harrington on Hold'em I-III. These three books are a must for tournament players.

And if you want to try multitabling I recommend that you start with 2 tables and add another table as soon as it gets boring and you think you can hanlde an additional table.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      From what I've read, heads up sng variance is closer to cash than normal sngs, so a bankroll of 20 buyins might be reasonable. That's just based on 2+2 though.
    • daunker
      daunker
      Bronze
      Hello- thanks for your replies. I actually played some stupid poker in the past couple of days. However, since then I have taken a new look at my game and why I was losing- although I had been on a bad card run I think frustration was also a part.

I'm now sitting down again and playing properly and made up the $40 I lost, and have recovered to pass my previous total to $530 and have started to work off the titan bonus which should rather nicely begin dropping into my account shortly. I've also qualified for their freerolls and hopefully the PS ones too!

You may also be pleased to hear that I am sticking to $10 buyins for the time being!