FL Swings!

    • elrio
      elrio
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.01.2008 Posts: 5,307
      Hi all!

      Currently i am like trying to play FL Full ring for the 3rd time! The first 2 times i kinda dropped out because the FL swings (I know its only full ring :D ) where to big for me and my (special, verry bad :D ) mindset! Now i'm able to drop out a 3rd time after a small dowswing where i lost a important amount of my bankroll!

      .... I have to say my mindset for poker isn't perfect! ....

      Is my bad mindset/ Am i just not made for the game of FL (Currently 0.25/0.50)?
      What can i do to adjust my mindset to the swingy game of FL? :D

      Grtz
  • 6 replies
    • Dawnfall26
      Dawnfall26
      Black
      Joined: 30.07.2008 Posts: 3,116
      Hi!

      1. Improve you game!!! Watch and rewatch all the moves also read and reread all the articles. Also try to analyse your hands in postmortem and post those you dont get through on the forums. This is the best way to lower variance since variance gets lower with higher winrate!

      2.bankroll managment is very important! But not just by means that you need 300(or 500 or 1000)BB but also to have enough so you dont get emotionaly attached to your loses. If you just dont care you can play with 300BB any limit you want(but be prepared to change your limit very often). Most people arent capable of this so they follow more conservative BR(750-1500BB) which is in my opinion a very good idea

      3.If you doubt your current knowledge on certain limit you can always step back so to bulid your confidence back again and crush the lower limit so to know you are ready for the higher one. This may look like a big waste of time but will most likely help you very much(and btw,having 1BB higher winrate on lower limit is probably even better than playing the higher one)

      My advices:)

      PS: FL has smaller short term variance since standard deviation is way smaller( cca 16 in FL and cca 40(not sure about this one though) in NL) but since winrates are smaller in FL longterm variance is higher. This does not affect microstakes too much as 30k hands is usually enough to have positive winrate but once you reach higher stakes 100k might still not be enough... but thats FL:)
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Joined: 03.03.2008 Posts: 3,802
      pro tip: don't look at your results every 5 minutes
    • Foxxxen
      Foxxxen
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.12.2007 Posts: 3,428
      Play for learning, not for profit. By eliminating the need to win, you will be less prone to tilt. This mindset will lead to profit anyways, so no need to think about winning!

      Originally posted by Dawnfall26
      PS: FL has smaller short term variance since standard deviation is way smaller( cca 16 in FL and cca 40(not sure about this one though) in NL) but since winrates are smaller in FL longterm variance is higher. This does not affect microstakes too much as 30k hands is usually enough to have positive winrate but once you reach higher stakes 100k might still not be enough... but thats FL:)
      Variance is variance, there is no long- or short term. I do not know if it is true that FL has higher variance than NL or vice versa, but surely it is personal and dependent on the skill level of the player. If I play FL with a winrate of 2BB and NL with a winrate of 2bb, my NL game will probably have higher variance.

      Also, I think variance has meaning only in relation to BRM. A large bankroll can obviously absorb higher variance.
    • Dyden
      Dyden
      Bronze
      Joined: 15.08.2008 Posts: 86
      Originally posted by Dawnfall26
      1. Improve you game!!! Watch and rewatch all the moves also read and reread all the articles. Also try to analyse your hands in postmortem and post those you dont get through on the forums. This is the best way to lower variance since variance gets lower with higher winrate!
      Just a question about this, as it's something that I'm struggling with the most.
      How do you know that your game is improving, especially when/if the results aren't there?
    • Dawnfall26
      Dawnfall26
      Black
      Joined: 30.07.2008 Posts: 3,116
      Hi!

      Like said, by analysing your hands as objectively as possible.With time you will be able to detect mistakes that your oponents do and also your own mistakes(which you will try to repair).That is the best way to know when you are beating a certain limit
    • Foxxxen
      Foxxxen
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.12.2007 Posts: 3,428
      Originally posted by Dyden
      Just a question about this, as it's something that I'm struggling with the most.
      How do you know that your game is improving, especially when/if the results aren't there?
      The quizzes!

      And also the videos; watch them without sound and try to emulate the coachs thought process.