First time bankroll managment

• genide
      genide
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I'm Maris, 21 years old and im from The Netherlands. My blog is going to be in English (as this forum is). I'm not that good at English but I think I can make myself understandable. I've been playing poker for about 3 years now, mainly on Pokerstars. My total poker results are kinda bad, mainly because i always play above my limits. There's a little gambler in me which always comes up at times when i run good. I requested the 50 dollar free bankroll from pokerstrategy.com and today i recieved it. I wasn't aware that it came with bankroll restrictions. I started to think and thought this was actually good for me. I know i can play a decent game of poker, and now I can't play above my limits. So I thought let's give this a try. Obviously I'm hoping to grow my bankroll of course, and I'll be updating my thread with my results. I'm mainly going to play multi table cash games and multi table sit n go's. MTT's will come later when i can buy in for more than 1 dollar.

So my first session today is over and eventually I upped 22 dollars. Mainly 6-tabling 5/10 cents. It was a swingy day. In the first 2 hours I picked up some good cards but wasn't able to win big pots. Then i took a break and opened 5 5/10 tables, each 10 dollar. I lost the first 10 dollar with Aces against Jacks. Second table i lost Ace 10 on a 3 5 10 board all clubs, probably a bad move but i shoved after a re-raise, hoped he was on a high club draw, but he showed 7 9 of clubs. That put me in a bad mood and infected my play dramaticly, i felt like giving all my chips away and stop at cake poker. Then my ultra lucky pot came which brought me back in the mood. I had arround 17 dollars at the table and i got A8. I shoved a re-raise all in with it, first called called with QQ and a second guy behind that called with AJ ! Pot was 50 dollar and an Ace hit the board.. turn x and the river brought me a lovely 8. I was back to 50 dollars. From this point my mood was back and I was thinking to myself, you just tilted again. Why? Anyways it was kind of an insight to myself, I just can't tilt if I wanna be a succesfull pokerplayer. I really have to focus on keeping it cool after some bad beats.

After that pot i managed to climb to 88 dollars maximum I think, I kept on playing on that 1 table where I got the lucky 8. Then i lost 15 dollars with Kings vs Jacks, Jack hit the turn. I knew I had to stop playing before i went crazy again so I did.

Which site do you guys use to get ur cash game graphs? Pokertableratings? That site only has my Pokerstars results, not my Cake graphs, the site I chose to get my 50 dollar on.
      More to come later!

P.S When I want to update my blog, should i post a reply on my thread or just edit this one and update in the first post? Thanks.
  • 3 replies
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      I'm aware you may be new to 'bankroll management' but sitting down 5 tabling nl10 BSS with your whole bankroll is not good bankroll management. You would do well to read a lot more of the articles on this website before you go bust because at your current rate, it won't be long. Take a break, do some research, and come back with a more sensible strategy.
    • genide
      genide
      Bronze
      Yes, just now I was reading the bankroll managment article and I came to that conclusion. I thought, since I could join the 5/10 table, it was ok to join it. I just bought in max.

I will be reading more about it and change my tactics. Thanks for hinting me though.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by genide
      I know i can play a decent game of poker,
      This assumption will run you straight into the ground. I suggest you adapt a student attitude and assume you know close to nothing about the game.

I'm mainly going to play multi table cash games and multi table sit n go's. MTT's will come later when i can buy in for more than 1 dollar.
      I'm not going to dictate you what games to play or not to play, but it's generally best to focus on one game variant until you get a decent winrate over several tens of thousands of hands. Remember, mastering one aspect is more profitable than knowing a bit of everything.

Which site do you guys use to get ur cash game graphs? Pokertableratings?
      Most of us use tracking software such as Elephant or Hold'em Manager. Those tools can record hands, give you a real time overview of how your opponents play and generate graphs.

P.S When I want to update my blog, should i post a reply on my thread or just edit this one and update in the first post? Thanks.
      Just reply in this thread. However, some people also edit their original post with results, current BR or other important stuff so that readers don't have to scan through 20 pages to find it out what limits you're playing.