3 Betting

• Rhymenoceros
      Rhymenoceros
      Bronze
      Hi all

I was just wondering if someone could do me an explanation on 3 betting ( in MTT's mainly). A kind of when where how and why for it. Also, how come this isn't covered anywhere in the MTT Strategy articles? I'm starting to feel like this is a big leak if I'm not doing it enough in deeper stacked MTT's.

Thanks
  • 4 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      3-bet is one of the most powerful weapons when you´re at deep stack, opponent has more than 30bb and there are antes.
      You gain a lot by making it 2.2-2.5x his raise size, which usually is around 2.2-2.5x and you have at first a lot of fold equity, and if you´re constantly 3-betting they woudl stack off light, which is your main goal to 3-bet light
      So sure, 3-bet ip (a little less oop) and you´re very hard to deal with.
      Just don´t 3-bet people air who would call often and would not like to fold their hands (basic calling stations)
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Kaitz20, that was pretty useful!

I also 3bet against preflop minraises basically with my standard opening range. Minraise is simply so weak, punish it just like you'd punish the UTG limp. But be careful with really bad players!

The good thing in low limit MTTs and 3bets is that you often get heads-up against one opponent (mostly in position, hopefully), which doesnt always happen if you just raise. If it is a deep MTT then 2-3-4 people tend to call your raise, be them the blinds or previous limpers. However, in most of the cases even these players see some power in the 3bet.
    • Rhymenoceros
      Rhymenoceros
      Bronze
      Okay this makes sense, so we 3 bet more IP and less OOP, mainly for image purposes.

i.e like you say if we are constantly 3 betting then we are more likely to get called by weaker hands or even 4 bet light. Correct?

what sort of more marginal hands can we 3 bet IP with? (I'm not talking monsters such as QQ, KK, AA because we are clearly 3 betting for value and to start pot committing our opponent in these cases)

For example:

3rd / 4th hand of a tourney with no real info on our opponents
      9/10 handed MTT
      70/100BB deep
      if we got an EP - MP raiser who makes it 4BB total to go and it folds to us in the CO with AQo

How likely or often should we three bet?
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Well, its just an opinion, but in a low buyin tournament I'd do it every time to isolate my opponent, it is doable from those deep stacks you described. Flat calling the AQ could be a solution, but not against several opponents, and people in those tournaments tend to call very loosely from the blinds if there was only one raise.

If he pushes in (or raises) I would fold. If he just calls (which he will do most of the time) then you have the initiative, hurray. Hope he checks, then I'd cbet most flops because Ive shown a lot of strenght preflop. Thats my line. Pretty sure its not perfect, but I think its okay on the low limits.