My First 45k Hands

• MikeyH
      MikeyH
      Bronze
      I have been playing FL Rush FR $0.50/$1.00 (2 tables) since it became available sometime at the beggining of the year (started with 1 table). I have played 45k hands in this game so far. I play part time in between study. I still tend to stick to the starting hands charts, only loosening up on 3bets/caps against players who are rather loose themselves. I am aware of some certain areas that I need improvement on.

My main reason for this post is after 45k hands my win rate sits at 0.82BB/100. I am becoming a little concerned with this number. These are the first 45k hands I have played at FL so my winrate will be reduced due to the initial learning phase. On the surface it also appears as if I am getting a great deal of bad luck.

After 45k hands should I be concerned about my win rate?

I have been setting a stop loss limit of 40BB per day. It is a small limit, but it is the point where I start to get a little annoyed so it made sense. I have also recently started taking a diary of my daily play recording good plays and bad from my Poker Tracker history. I make notes of bets that could have been gained and bets that could have been saved. I read over my notes before a session so my mistakes and good plays are fresh in my head. This way I know whether to avoid them or not. I am currently reading "The Theory Of Poker".

I have recently passed the $1k mark, from the original $50, and have the Bankroll to move on to FL Rush SH $1/$2, but I am not comfortable with my win rate, and experience, at this point to make that move.

What are others experiences with swings/win rates in FL?
      When did you make a move to SH and how was the experience?
      Has anyone found any significant differences between players in a regular ring game and players in a rush pool? (As articles are written primarily for ring games).
      What strategies have you found useful for improving your game?

• 5 replies
    • gedja
      gedja
      Bronze
      Hi Mikey,

I cant speak about ftp or rush poker since for long time i play only at pokerstars, i think its possible better than 1 BB/100 at 0.50/1, imo the most importante thing in poker is table selection, 10 regs playing is -EV for alll, maximum you can cover the rake if u have some edge, other thing i believe its important is to balance your game, ok i also folow pokerstrategy chart most of the time but sometimes if u have to 3bet trash hand, raise trash UTG, make some bluffs pos flop, basicly create a good image to get payoff when u have a hand.

sry for poor english :P
    • DYRD
      DYRD
      Bronze
      It's quite normal to have such winrate at FT. As compared with Stars the tables are 9-max, so u pay blinds more often, the level of competition at FT is higher, so at stars u'd have bigger numbers. I heard that any positive winrate is good. But still some players go better than u, so do some more theory
    • MikeyH
      MikeyH
      Bronze
      Thank you for responses.
    • Dawnfall26
      Dawnfall26
      Black
      Hi!

This limit is beatable with more than 1,5/100 everywhere and probably even more than 2BB/100 but demands a lot of knowledge.

Another thing is that 45k hands is pretty much nothing when you are searching for your exact winrate. You can be happy that it is + but it can easily change +-1BB/100 in next 100k hands.

I dont want to discourage you, obviously maintaing positive winrate for this whole period most probably means you are winning player but for exactly how much you will have to wait another 200-300k+ hands. Which brings us to the point that it is pretty much irrelavant and you should only focus on your game and simultaneously winrate will rise.
    • MikeyH
      MikeyH
      Bronze
      Thank you Dawnfall. I am not discouraged by this information, as that is just the way the game works. My knowledge is defintely not as good as it could be. I still have a lot to learn in FL. The fact that I am still uncomfortable or unsure in certain situations is evidence of this. My play while defending a blind is not it's best. I also have uncertainty of when is best to bluff without initiative (with the exception of strong draw semi-bluffs). I have been working through a few of the FL quizzes available to me and tend to get around 75% correct.

I want to stay at $0.50/$1.00 FR until I can improve my game. The next limit avaliable in Rush is $1/$2 SH which I believe will demand that I know the game better than my current ability. Especially in blind defense.