Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $3,82
      Hero:
      $4,00

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J:heart: , J:diamond:
      MP1 folds, Hero raises to $0,16, 4 folds, BB calls $0,12.

Flop: ($0,34) 8:heart: , A:diamond: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $0,33, Hero ???

Final Pot: $1,55

Hi,
      PF is easy, what is the best line on flop and what can I expect on turn & river? I have an idea, but want to know whether i am thinking in the right way.

• 4 replies
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Pot donk looks really strong - and board is drawy enough for him to be protecting Ax. He can be doing it with draws too, but even if his range is like 50:50 with both of these I still don't like playing against it. There are going to be many bad turn/river cards and even on blanks can't be sure you are ahead. His strength in his bet also implies to me that I shall have to invest more a lot of the time to get to showdown.

Thats just my opinion though - might be a little weak, normally I would call and reevalulate on turn if the bet was slightly smaller.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by amplifyd
      Pot donk looks really strong - and board is drawy enough for him to be protecting Ax. He can be doing it with draws too, but even if his range is like 50:50 with both of these I still don't like playing against it. There are going to be many bad turn/river cards and even on blanks can't be sure you are ahead. His strength in his bet also implies to me that I shall have to invest more a lot of the time to get to showdown.

Thats just my opinion though - might be a little weak, normally I would call and reevalulate on turn if the bet was slightly smaller.
      That's certainly viable, if you get the feeling he'll bet the turn very often you're better off straight up folding the flop. Villain needs to have a whole bunch of draws when he donks here to balance for the times we're ~2-outing against Ax and even those draws have a lot of draws against us, so really we're not giving up as much equity as it seems at first sight.

When in doubt, nothing wrong with peeling the flop and seeing what happens on the turn.

Hope it helps.
    • lolofon
      lolofon
      Bronze
      Thank you, since he was quite aggressive i raised to cca 2/3 of pot and he folded. Am i isolating myself against better hands and force worse to fold? Probably yes, or?

What if he had donked ~1/2 of pot?

Ty :)
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by lolofon
      Thank you, since he was quite aggressive i raised to cca 2/3 of pot and he folded. Am i isolating myself against better hands and force worse to fold? Probably yes, or?

What if he had donked ~1/2 of pot?

Ty :)
      Against a tag you'll put yourself in a position where he'll have the option of shoving both his good draws and his very strong hands on you, he shouldn't donk/call too often and if he does, it'll be with some Ax hands more often than not. It's just a bad spot all around.

If he had donked smaller I would call just to see what's going on with him, because you see people play weird from the blinds these days, I routinely play with guys that for some reason decided to donk half pot on most boards just to see if you'll give up or not. That said you're didn't really open from late position and Axy boards aren't prime candidates for those moves, so if he has any idea what he's doing most of the time he's not screwing around in that spot, at worse he'll have a decent draw that maybe he slows down with if he misses the turn.

Hope it helps.