What would you do in this situation?

• fastroller
      fastroller
      Bronze
      Down to the final 4900 players of the pokerstars 1/4 tourney. 4500 players get money.
      The blinds are 500/1000. I've just passed them but my stack is down to 4000 chips.
      I am on the cutoff and UTG1 raises all in for 10,000 chips and the big stack reraises all in for 46,000 chips an isolation bet I figure.
      I'm holding pocket 4's. I can see 5 hands before then blinds hit me again and I figure I have to shove within the next 5 hands should I call here? Or what should I do? If I win I'd have around 16,000 chips.

Against two random cards the odds were about 36% of winning with pokerstove so I made the call and lost and am looking back on it and wondering if it was the right decision.
  • 5 replies
    • N0pr3s3n7
      N0pr3s3n7
      Coach
      Coach
      You were ? vs overpair or 2 random cards ? vs 2 random cards you got Much more equity which makes it ok call.No matter of the bubble,ask yourself do you play just for it or ?Your stack is definitely a good enough argument to make the call.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      You had 36% against two random cards, but you had 2 shoves before you so they do not have a 100% range.

I think it would be something like this:

UTG1: 22+, ATs+, KJs+, ATo+, KJo+
      //maybe even tighter

Big Stack:77+, ATs+, KJs+, ATo+, KJo+
      //again, even tighter is possible

In this situation you get about 27%, so not really worth it. Especially because you were up against two opponents out of which at least one had overcards and the worst case, both have overpairs. I think you we're basically up against 4 overcards for sure.

I think it's better to shove first in with something like 89s in rather than calling 2 shoves with 44. You have about the same equity against two callers. That's just how I see it.

PS: What did those guys have?

LE:But like N0pr3s3n7 said: If you are not looking just to get past the bubble, but win the tourney you could shove there.
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      i think its an easy fold
      raise then reraise means your 5's are badly dominated over half the time and if they are not then you still have to dodge 3 or 4 overcards most times

if u have 4BB then you need a good hand cuz u will get called almost always but you shouldn't have gone this low in the first place

but ok it happens and if i were you i would use all my timer to "waste" some time and wait till the bubble bursts then u got your buyin back and then you can gamble and try get back in the game
    • fastroller
      fastroller
      Bronze
      The UTG1 had pocket sixes and the bigstack reraiser wanted to isolate with AQ offsuit. I lost to the pocket 6s so if they both had something like AQ I wouldve won but oh well. I don't usually play in the $11 tourneys since it was above my bankroll but it was the 2nd time I satelited in and instead of cashing out the tourney dollars I decided I would go for it.

I wasn't extremely happy with that call but I was short stacked and wouldn't have made it past the bubble if I didnt double up or triple up within the next 10 hands. I guess I was hoping they were similar over cards like the both had AK or AQ where they both only have 6 outs to my pocket fours. I find myself going out around the bubble way too often, I play tight and wait for premium cards or play speculative hands when there are a lot of passive callers but I don't have the best pushing strategy with short stack and always allow myself to get blinded down to the point that I have no fold equity. What books or pokerstrategy article do you guys recommend reading that improve my pushing strategy around the bubble?
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      i would download the ICM trainer. Although it's mostly for sng's, it does give you a good idea of how tight or loose you should push in some situations.

If you often bust around the bubble you probably wait too long for good cards.