This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

What would you do in this situation?

• fastroller
      fastroller
      Bronze
      Down to the final 4900 players of the pokerstars 1/4 tourney. 4500 players get money.
      The blinds are 500/1000. I've just passed them but my stack is down to 4000 chips.
      I am on the cutoff and UTG1 raises all in for 10,000 chips and the big stack reraises all in for 46,000 chips an isolation bet I figure.
      I'm holding pocket 4's. I can see 5 hands before then blinds hit me again and I figure I have to shove within the next 5 hands should I call here? Or what should I do? If I win I'd have around 16,000 chips.

Against two random cards the odds were about 36% of winning with pokerstove so I made the call and lost and am looking back on it and wondering if it was the right decision.
  • 5 replies
    • N0pr3s3n7
      N0pr3s3n7
      Bronze
      You were ? vs overpair or 2 random cards ? vs 2 random cards you got Much more equity which makes it ok call.No matter of the bubble,ask yourself do you play just for it or ?Your stack is definitely a good enough argument to make the call.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      You had 36% against two random cards, but you had 2 shoves before you so they do not have a 100% range.

I think it would be something like this:

UTG1: 22+, ATs+, KJs+, ATo+, KJo+
      //maybe even tighter

Big Stack:77+, ATs+, KJs+, ATo+, KJo+
      //again, even tighter is possible

In this situation you get about 27%, so not really worth it. Especially because you were up against two opponents out of which at least one had overcards and the worst case, both have overpairs. I think you we're basically up against 4 overcards for sure.

I think it's better to shove first in with something like 89s in rather than calling 2 shoves with 44. You have about the same equity against two callers. That's just how I see it.

PS: What did those guys have?

LE:But like N0pr3s3n7 said: If you are not looking just to get past the bubble, but win the tourney you could shove there.
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      i think its an easy fold
      raise then reraise means your 5's are badly dominated over half the time and if they are not then you still have to dodge 3 or 4 overcards most times

if u have 4BB then you need a good hand cuz u will get called almost always but you shouldn't have gone this low in the first place

but ok it happens and if i were you i would use all my timer to "waste" some time and wait till the bubble bursts then u got your buyin back and then you can gamble and try get back in the game
    • fastroller
      fastroller
      Bronze
      The UTG1 had pocket sixes and the bigstack reraiser wanted to isolate with AQ offsuit. I lost to the pocket 6s so if they both had something like AQ I wouldve won but oh well. I don't usually play in the $11 tourneys since it was above my bankroll but it was the 2nd time I satelited in and instead of cashing out the tourney dollars I decided I would go for it.

I wasn't extremely happy with that call but I was short stacked and wouldn't have made it past the bubble if I didnt double up or triple up within the next 10 hands. I guess I was hoping they were similar over cards like the both had AK or AQ where they both only have 6 outs to my pocket fours. I find myself going out around the bubble way too often, I play tight and wait for premium cards or play speculative hands when there are a lot of passive callers but I don't have the best pushing strategy with short stack and always allow myself to get blinded down to the point that I have no fold equity. What books or pokerstrategy article do you guys recommend reading that improve my pushing strategy around the bubble?
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      i would download the ICM trainer. Although it's mostly for sng's, it does give you a good idea of how tight or loose you should push in some situations.

If you often bust around the bubble you probably wait too long for good cards.