[NL2-NL10] AJs One-Color board 2-pair NL5 Rush

• overson
      overson
      Bronze
      Based on this board I am often either behind or slight favorite against strong draws. Since this is likely the case can I fold to a raise or call the flop fold the turn?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $6.92
      BB:
      $5.99
      MP2:
      $6.11
      MP3:
      $5.01
      CO:
      $12.09
      BU (Hero):
      $5.19

Preflop: Hero is BU with J, A.
      MP2 raises to $0.17, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.17, SB calls $0.15, BB calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.68) J, A, T (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0.20, MP2 raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $5.02, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls $4.27.

Turn: ($10.92) 9 (2 players)

River: ($10.92) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $10.92.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, aces and jacks(Jd Ad).
      MP2 shows a straight, ace high(Qd Kd).

MP2 wins with a straight, ace high(Qd Kd).
  • 2 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      I don't mind calling flop, since MP2 might do this with worse hands vs the BB mindonk. It's going to be really hard to play the turn though.

On this sort of flop 4 handed, there aren't many draws MP2 can be raising with, so folding is also fine If you think his value range is strong. I don't like shoving since you are representing a ton of strength and are likely only getting called by better hands.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      I don't mind calling flop, since MP2 might do this with worse hands vs the BB mindonk. It's going to be really hard to play the turn though.

On this sort of flop 4 handed, there aren't many draws MP2 can be raising with, so folding is also fine If you think his value range is strong. I don't like shoving since you are representing a ton of strength and are likely only getting called by better hands.
      Sounds fine.

Making "weak folds" at microstakes is underrated in my opinion. It's not like you really need to fight back against anybody, nobody is strong enough to really exploit you. So when you get into a spot against a unknown where you'll likely have to blow a stack defending a marginal hand against extreme strength in case you're ahead somehow, often you'll just get shown a better hand and lose whatever profit you made by playing good over the last thousand hands or so, depending on your winrate. It's probably better without reads to just get out of the way, people you haven't seen monkeying around before aren't getting out of line that often, at worse he'll have two pairs/Kcx/QcX here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should fold every marginal hand. When you think you're ahead and/or villain is obviously retardedly aggressive, going with your reads and calling down is fine. Just that in spots where you're almost bluff-catching against a villain that could very well be some regular that is never getting out of line, it might just not be worth it to spend 100bb to find out.

Hope it helps.

Hope it helps.