[NL2-NL10] Rush NL5 AJ TP raised turn

• overson
      overson
      Bronze
      I like how I played this hand, but this does not make sense.
      The only thing I see doing this is 44 do you agree?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $11.87
      BB (Hero):
      $14.91
      MP2:
      $4.42
      MP3:
      $8.22
      CO:
      $4.52
      BU:
      $4.69

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, J.
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.05, CO calls $0.05, BU folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero raises to $0.35, MP3 calls $0.30, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.8) T, Q, A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, MP3 calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.6) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, MP3 raises to $4.60, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.6.
  • 4 replies
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      I don't like raising preflop OOP with AJo tbh - leads to marginal situations where you're going to have to be able to read hands really well imo. Prefer to check.

Bet bigger on the flop. Hard to really actually see 44 calling on that flop and I think more likely is JK or like a set or something - anyhow I think you can make use of theorem that says players much more less likely to raise with draws on turn and just fold.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by amplifyd
      I don't like raising preflop OOP with AJo tbh - leads to marginal situations where you're going to have to be able to read hands really well imo. Prefer to check.

Bet bigger on the flop. Hard to really actually see 44 calling on that flop and I think more likely is JK or like a set or something - anyhow I think you can make use of theorem that says players much more less likely to raise with draws on turn and just fold.
      I'm indifferent to preflop, it just depends on how comfortable you feel playing postflop. I'd c-bet the flop bigger tho, lots of worse hands that can call and lots of turn cards that we really don't like.

As played tough sell on 44 indeed, while he's certainly fishy, not every fish is calling 44 on AQT flops. He could certainly have wrongly slowplayed something on the flop, he could have A4, he could have picked up a random combo redraw with QdKd or something. Not quite sure what "theorem" amplifyd is talking about, but I do believe it's not worth continuing in that spot. At best your opponent has a lot of outs, at worst we're drawing dead already.

Hope it helps.
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tamairlarace
      Not quite sure what "theorem" amplifyd is talking about
      Some of the stuff does apply here imo

A better statement would of probably just been - his line looks strong and that hand is not in so good shape against his range :P
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Sure. In essence what it says is that the average range for raising the turn is heavily weighted toward value hands that crush top pair, and that's the read you usually want to follow when you don't have reads of your own on villain that suggest otherwise.

Hope it helps.