Bryans $0 blog

• MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi all

I recently detailed, in another blog, how I went deep in 2 low buy-in satellites on an account that I have, which is not connected to my PS account.

My PS account is on Full Tilt and progress is on my other blog, called Bryans fresh start, and may soon also be partly covered on a new blog I am about to open, called Bryans steps program (guess what that will be about).

For completeness, I will mention here that I also have 2 others, called Bryans satellites and Bryans Live poker, which are self explanatory.

The above tourneys were played on Pokerstars, and I turned a few dollars into almost $100, but felt that if I used similar tactics to try to build this BR I would have 2 accounts doing the same thing and dividing my time.

So, I decided to withdraw the funds to my bank account and start from $0.

This blog will detail my attempt - probably very sporadic, due to time restraints - to literally build a BR from nothing using freerolls on Pokerstars initially, though if/when I actually win any money, I will probably start to use it in low buy-in events to help build the BR.

To kick things off, I will briefly detail my decadent day yesterday, spent playing poker when I could have been working (something I said I wouldn't do again after I did it last Sunday !

OMAHA
      Yes part of the fun of freerolls is that I can play other forms of poker which I enjoy doing. I got off to a great start in this one, but then lost most of my stack, when trying to get as much of it in the middle when I was miles ahead, on every street. My opponent was calling my pot sized bets on every street with trip 5's, then hit quads on the river, but I am not bitter, and wish him well.

RAZZ
      Yes I actually entered a razz only tourney. I have normally only played this as part of a mixed game, but this one was starting at the right time. I played it the way I normally played it, by not getting involved unless I have a good hand within the first couple of streets, but getting the money in when I feel I am ahead. I was getting my money in well pretty much every time as a consequence, but then hitting nothing but big cards when it mattered on the last streets. Eventually drained chips away hitting nothing.

8 GAME
      I can't even remember all the games, but they were mostly limit games, which I don't like, as the fish just don't know how to fold. Forget raising your pocket AA type hands, they are never going to win (well I don't mean don't raise them, I just mean don't expect to win with them). Drawing hands are best, but try to be drawing to the nuts when possible.
      I eventually went out in a huge PLO hand. To be fair, my opponent had the low pot sewn up, but I had the high pot, but he outdrew me to end up taking the lot, and effectively knocking me out.

At the end of several hours of fun:

BR = $0

Watch this space though, as one day, when I have made my fortune, you will be able to say you knew me when I had nothing.

All the best
      Bryan
  • 8 replies
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Interesting blog, the freerolls on pokerstars are pretty horrible though. Usualy like 9000 players enter and top 9 win. And then you usualy don't even win money, but a ticket to a tournament, where you have to run good again to actualy win something.

I'm actualy doing the same thing, although i'm lucky enough to have a $1000 regional freeroll every sunday which in about 4500-5000 players enter every week.

I will be following this blog, hope you make it! :D
    • wuttehhell
      wuttehhell
      Bronze
      I say don't waste your time with stupid freerolls and invest the 100$.
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi All

Just wanted to say thanks to the two guys who have just posted replies. I know exactly what you mean. That's why this may be an occasional thing rather than something I am doing every day, as I don't have the time to waste very often. Thought I would start the blog though, and, well, you never know, I just might get lucky.

It's not my main focus though, as you will see when you read my fresh start and steps program blogs.

I love the concept of the steps program. I know there are criticisms of it, but I am still happy to give it a go, especially as the most I am committing myself to at any one time is a stt sng.

One criticism of the steps program is that pros buy in at the higher steps, so you can advance to a high level, then come up against one of the worlds top players looking for a cheap buy-in. Ironically, what I see as a frustrating part of sng's in the late stages, can work in your favour. I don't care if phil hellmuth, tony g and anyone else is at the table. If its the right spot to shove my stack and take my chance, I would do it. The result will be the result.

Anyway, I digress, as this is for my steps blog.

Thanks for the interest guys,

All the best
      Bryan
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Good luck - saw you're from the UK. There are a bunch of freerolls like every evening under regional tab for UK only. Some are like $300, $500 added and all give tickets to a big freeroll in like 6 weeks or something.
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi there,

Thanks for this amplifyd, I had probably overlooked those. I will check them out.

Last night, I came home from the pub, I hadn't had a lot to drink, but was a bit tired on top, so what did I do? I entered a freeroll on a whim, because it was starting in a couple of mins, so I would have a bit of fun before getting knocked out and going to bed.

Right. What happened was that I played well, went deeper and deeper in the tourney, whilst getting more and more tired. There were 6000 entrants, and it was a PLHE/PLO mix game. Obviously as the night wore on and I got more sleepy, my play deteriorated, as did my chipstack, but you can't just leave can you? well can you?

I ended up with the bleeping noise that tells you its your turn waking me up every hand, and I ended up getting as many chips into the middle with any hand, as I just wanted it to be over !!

What an idiot ! I had actually got down to the last few hundred from 6000, with 72 getting a place in the next tourney for a share of $2000, which usually means nearly 1000 people getting $2 !!

When I registered, it seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't.

Note to self: think ahead about the consequences of entering these big tourneys.

I will definitely be checking out the ones amplifyd has brought to my attention, as they are likely to involve smaller fields.

BR = $0

All the best
      Bryan
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi Bryan,

I really like the idea of the 0 to millions format. The only thing I would say is that you more or less were on 0 on your other "fresh start" blog and managed to get yourself out of that hole, now with some real BR ($150). I didn't approve of how you did it but you managed it.

It just seems like now is the time to build on that success rather than starting from scratch again. You've mentioned in the past that you get frustrated playing for really small amounts of money so it seems counterintuitive to me that you would want to invest any time at all with this given that time is precious to you.

Anyway, good luck with it and I will (try to) keep up with your many blogs :D

Tim
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi All

Thanks again for your input Tim64, and you are quite right that it is counterintuitive to spend time on freerolls. However, I do state that it won't be my main focus, its just another tool to use when I do have time/am in the mood.

Another poster has drawn my attention to UK ones with smaller fields too. I am trying to keep pace with all my blogs too mate. I soon won't have time to play any poker, as it will all be spent updating blogs.

All the best
      Bryan
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      I am trying to keep pace with all my blogs too mate. I soon won't have time to play any poker, as it will all be spent updating blogs.

:D :D :D