$11.18
      BU:
      $20.86
      SB:
      $9.05
      BB (Hero):
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, J.
      MP3 folds, CO raises to $0.40, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.85) 5, Q, 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50.

Turn: ($1.85) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.40, Hero raises to $3.60, CO calls $2.20.

River: ($9.05) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.50(All-In), CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $9.05.

Should I check raise bigger on the turn? If so, then how much & why?

On second thought I think my sizing is okay, since if I were to bet bigger & get called and miss the river, I'd basically be pot commited myself and have zero fold equity?

So this or maybe even check-shove? Though a shove would be bad I guess since I don't have all that much equity against his range and the pot is rather smallish at this point as well.

And on such a river ... better go for ultra thin value?
      Or should I be thinking that on such a board and in this situation he will either call any amount anyway or fold to any bet anyway, so better go for the full value and get those leftovers all in the pot?

Anyways, help a fish out with your fine knowledge and skill :f_biggrin:
  • 2 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Hi,

I don't really think turn is a good spot to check/raise. I usually avoid this move on boards like this, since your range becomes very polarized - QTs, TT, or draw. Even if you're the sort of player that slowplays on wet flops, villian doesn't know that and you probably won't get that many folds unless his turn barelling range is wide. Plus, stack sizes are awkward as you pointed out. Would much rather check/raise flop, or maybe check/call, donk turn. It accomplishes the same thing, but allows you to represent a wider range, and increases fold equity since villians flop bet is much weaker than second barelling range.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Hi,

I don't really think turn is a good spot to check/raise. I usually avoid this move on boards like this, since your range becomes very polarized - QTs, TT, or draw. Even if you're the sort of player that slowplays on wet flops, villian doesn't know that and you probably won't get that many folds unless his turn barelling range is wide. Plus, stack sizes are awkward as you pointed out. Would much rather check/raise flop, or maybe check/call, donk turn. It accomplishes the same thing, but allows you to represent a wider range, and increases fold equity since villians flop bet is much weaker than second barelling range.
      I agree with that.

As played I believe your bet sizing is fine considering the stacks. On the river I don't think you have zero fold equity when you miss, simply because most of the nutted hands in villain's range will usually just shove the turn. I'm also shoving for value, it's only half pot anyway and more often than not he'll need a decent Q or better to call anyway, if we make it $2 and he has the opportunity to just call with something like KQ it's gross.

Hope it helps.