[NL2-NL10] Nl2 - Qq

• Meemawuk
      0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with Q, Q (Comment)
      UTG1 raises to $0.08, Hero raises to $0.20, 7 folds, UTG1 raises to $0.44, Hero calls $0.24.

Flop: ($0.91) 2, K, A (2 players) (Comment)
      UTG1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.91) Q (2 players) (Comment)
      UTG1 bets $0.68, Hero calls $0.68.

River: ($2.27) 7 (2 players) (Comment)
      UTG1 bets $0.88 (All-In), Hero calls $0.88.

Final Pot: $4.03

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, queens (Qs Qd)
      UTG1 shows three of a kind, aces (Ac As)

UTG1 wins with three of a kind, aces (Ac As)

Player stats reported him being tight and I was confident I was behind when he checked the flop then bet the turn and almost certain when he bet the river. I somehow couldn't help calling down. The only hand in his range after the preflop action that I beat is AK, but after the 4-bet is AK really likely? I suppose I could get away from this hand if I bet the flop and he raises me.

I'm new to BSS so any advice would be useful. Also, whether or not my own review of the hand is accurate.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Well if he's very tight and opening from UTG1 you might want to start by not 3-betting QQ, because it's a fair assumption that when you do indeed get 4-bet you're probably in trouble.

After that it's just a willpower thing. Either you're confident enough in your read to realize you're bluff-catching with 3rd set against a guy who very likely has KK+ and you should just plain fold the turn, or you're not in which case you should just shove the turn and hope he somehow has AK/AQ. Don't call the turn to fold the river when you're pretty sure he'll jam anyway, it won't give you more information to make a decision you already know what's going to happen, so you're just lighting money on fire.

Hope it helps.