The Best Decision

• dember
      dember
      Bronze
      I
      - just threw my ego out the window
      - have reached the nadir of my poker career
      - have only one way out - up

The little figure sitting on the edge of my BB-hands graph is me. He has walked a long way to get there. Ups and downs, hills and valleys, mountains and ravines behind his back and in his aching legs. Back bent, head hanging his legs are slowly swinging. Turns his head back to the huge slope he has slid down wondering whether he will ever get back there - or even higher. Battered are his self-confidence and self-esteem. Will he ever stand up and walk again - he doesn't know. The stairs that act as the ground are formed at the moment he makes a step. Where will it lead him? Where will I go from this abyss?

THE PLAN

1. Learn Perl and write a program that dissects my hand history and makes very detailed statistics to learn from. Deadline: 2010/06/01. Until then, no poker.
  • 12 replies
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      The little figure sitting on the edge of my BB-hands graph is me.

There is no graph ?(
    • dember
      dember
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz

There is no graph ?(
      Use your imagination.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Use your imagination.

That's too much to ask from a modern geek.

Good luck with your endeavours.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze

THE PLAN

1. Learn Perl and write a program that dissects my hand history and makes very detailed statistics to learn from. Deadline: 2010/06/01. Until then, no poker.

So you basicaly want to make a program like holdem manager yourself? erm.. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy it?

btw, if you go to sharkscope.com then follow the instructions so they can get your stats. You can get free graphs. They aren't that special, but they are pretty decent.
    • wuttehhell
      wuttehhell
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dember

There is no graph ?(
      Use your imagination.
      lol that's so funny. :spade:
    • dember
      dember
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof
      Good luck with your endeavours.
      THX Jackalof!

THE PLAN

So you basicaly want to make a program like holdem manager yourself? erm.. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy it?

btw, if you go to sharkscope.com then follow the instructions so they can get your stats. You can get free graphs. They aren't that special, but they are pretty decent.
      I have HEM and PT3 as well, but I want custom features (sophisticated analysis, etc. - I'll write about them later), which I can't get from the above mentioned - otherwise excellent - softwares.
      Besides, mastering a useful and versatile language such as Perl can never hurt. Also, by writing my own full program I will be able to think about poker in a more analytical / statistical way which I think is key to success.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      If u in fact manage to produce the kind of program u've written about u'll have all the money u'll ever need. It's probably an even bigger undertaking then learning to play poker profitably. I've got no idea of ur coding ability or understanding of the game but even if they were both extended this program project is still a very demanding challenge. If u are going to make a comprehensive tool of course.

Would be interesting to read what kind of tool u are planning to build.
    • eteris
      eteris
      Bronze
      why perl?
    • dember
      dember
      Bronze
      Here is my belated Mission Statement in FAQ (pronounced: "Fackyou") style:

Q1. Why is the title of this blog is what it is?
      A1. I recognized early on (hell no, I recognized too late) that when I want to win in poker I lose. Alas, when I am afraid to lose I lose as well. (So how the heck can I win?) Insert some heavy thinking here and... conclusion: the only way to win consistently (in the long run as we all know, because of "a bitch" called variance) is to make The Best Decisions (or at least trying to). I choose to concentrate on the decision rather then the outcome. This way my emotions get decoupled from the decision making process and thus do not interfere with it. (Oh dember, you damn well know how easy it is to mouth platitudes. Instead of writing 'em thangs that make you look cleva and make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside you should do it dawg; just do it!)

Q2. What is this blog about?
      A2. I mostly play FLHE and 9H ST turbo SnG (as for now, only on Full Tilt) with sporadic ventures into Omaha HU (where I am a professional loser) and MTTs (where I don't have the necessary patience and screw up just to become the bubble boy). Of course I will eventually branch out to other variations. Well, I want to be the second Phil Ivey. There I said it.
      And it will serve as a self-therapy from time to time (during downswings* I get highly philosophical).
      *Downswings do not exist, only poorly played hands. Downswings are a myth.

Q3. Whom is this blog written to? (Who the heck is interested in your damn self-pitying posts?)
      A3. You are. Yes you are, who is reading this blog right now.

Q4. What is the purpose of this blog?
      A4. Make a coherent sentence from the following words and you'll have it: learn, teach, constructive criticism, fun, track progress, the meaning of life, cynical one-liners, the universe, and myths (see above).
    • dember
      dember
      Bronze
      Originally posted by eteris
      why perl?
      Perl was made for processing text files (after its birth his first words were: "mom.txt") but evolved into an all-purpose "glue" language (so hard to type with sticky hands) with an extensive library of modules. So I guess for analyzing hand history files this fast and unique language is the best choice. Perl also has sex (the way programming languages do) with regular expressions and they enjoy it - which is also a plus for hand history analysis. (I make inappropriate jokes from time to time)

If you want to read more about the wonders Perl, you can do it by clicking here. Or, if you are like me and enjoy demented humor, visit Encyclopedia Britannica's entry about Perl here.

I'm learning the basics from Elle Quigley's book "Perl by Example". Right now I'm at Chapter 4 and proceeding fast. The examples are pretty repetitive and boring so far, but it's a good introduction I guess.

According to legend, in order to master Perl one has to learn to think like the language's creator, linguist Larry Wall. I think the picture speaks volumes about the way he thinks. :D I already :heart: him!
    • wuttehhell
      wuttehhell
      Bronze
      Larry looks like a perv to me lol.

I know quite a bit about programming myself, and what you want to do is, imo, imposible.

I wish you good luck though. :spade:
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Perl also has sex

AM I THE ONLY THING ON THIS PLANET THAT ISN'T GETTING LAID?

lol.. it.. had to be done :f_love: