Turbo SNG's profitable in the long run? Or stick with normal MTT?

• alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Is there any way to make profits regularly on turbo SNG's? Or should I stick with normal? I reach the money in around 50% of normal speed tourneys, but less then 20% of the turbo ones?

Are there any strategic/tactical adaptations one should make when playing turbo? ie increase hand range? Playing tight aggressive normally has you getting blinded out before the first hour is over if you don't get any good cards. Any even if you double up that may not be enough to overcome the increasing blinds before the bubble.

I'm pretty sure it's not a case of luck or bad luck, because I've played hundreds of normal and turbo sngs and normal MTT.

I had the bad luck of getting all the way to 2nd place on a $2.20 180 player turbo like the second time I played one. Won like $70 on that. Unfortunately I lost all of that playing more the the same sngs, thinking it was easy money (that was over an year ago) and there I decided I'd stick with normal speed sngs.

But over time, I've come to the conclusion that those normal speed sngs aren't profitable enough either, when compared to the time it takes to make it to the money. Ie getting to the money in a 90 player $2.20 sng (I'm always talking about pokerstars here) takes over two hours, and my average profit was lower per hour then playing on cash tables with the same money, so then I stopped playing normal speed sngs, and just stuck to the big MTT and cash tables. Anyone relate to this experience? I'd be very interested to hear about others' experience.

If there were any way to consistently profit on these turbos I'm sure they'd be more profitable then big MTT and cash tables, because of the short time required to reach a considerable prize. (ie winning one $2.20 180 player turbo tourney a day would be good money for the money invested, more then $50 per hour)
  • 8 replies
    • xmarukox
      xmarukox
      Bronze
      I think SNG is much easier to mastering the outcome..rather than MTT

If the bankroll allows, betting MTT for a big bonus is not a bad choice..
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      many people grind out 100k/yr+ playing sngs.

yes they are profitable if you know what ur doing
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lessthanthreee
      many people grind out 100k/yr+ playing sngs.

yes they are profitable if you know what ur doing

The first supernova elite of this year grinds sng's :]

Anyway MTT have HUGE variance, turbo MTT just make it even worse. I've ran for example over 100% ROI on $0,25 45man sng's. And over the last 100 i ran breakeven because of rediculous bad luck..

If you haven't gotten alot of bad beats then you probably aren't adjusting properly in turbo's. You can't wait that long for a decent hand to double up with as in regular ones.
    • goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      Hi Hahaownedlolz

What is your handle on Pokerstars? I am playing the $0.25 45 and 90men at the moment and want to look out for you!
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      I'm grinding $0,25 45man sng's at the moment. I expect in 1 week i will be done grinding them though.

My nick on stars is: hahaownedlol. So you'd probably recognize me anyway =p i haven't played much the last few days or even week. But i'm planning to do two sessions of 12 of them again for atleast a week.

Are the 90 man profitable? i haven't tried them much. I imagine they take even longer then 2-2,5 hours like the 45man take (if you go into heads up)? Don't think i will give them a shot, since variance will be even higher.
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      i find the 90 man trubo on FT very profitable. take around 2 hours if you win
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      I also find the 90 man turbo on FT very profitable, it is all i play. They start at the $3 +.30 level.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      Are the 90 man profitable? i haven't tried them much. I imagine they take even longer then 2-2,5 hours like the 45man take (if you go into heads up)? Don't think i will give them a shot, since variance will be even higher.
      ´

90 man 0.25 SNG are horrible, I played them long ago. Takes like 3 hours to barely be in the money. Useless money for the effort and time they take IMO.