Quiz of the week: Floats (1): Float spots

• djma123
      djma123
      Bronze
      Dear PokerStrategists

if you are in position, you always have a wide selection of possible plays at your disposal. One of them is floating, in which you call the flop with the intention to be aggressive on the turn, no matter if you improve or not. But when is this play really suitable? And can there be spots in which other plays have more value? Which type of opponent do you want while floating? These questions and more will be part of our new quiz of the week.

This week will be the first part of a 4-part series which will introduce you to all different angles of float play. We start off with a drawing hand and the different ways of playing it against a range of opponents. So when do you float, check or raise?

How did you do? Feedback is always appreciated!
  • 10 replies
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      The situation was kind of an awkward one for me, since I'm pretty much always raising on flop with 15 outs. Would have liked to see some more boards due to that. On the other hand, questions got tough on those turn decisions so definately liked that part. And the scoring seemed to be well balanced. :f_thumbsup: Good job!
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I do not like the reasoning for Question Ten.

To me it reads like this; "we need 43% fold equity alone to make a bet on the turn profitable and we have 30% so we bet and pray...."

Personally It depends on my current image and the gameflow at the time, but If I bet turn I am also betting river to take it down.

I would be happy if someone can help clear this up for me and explain what the author actually meant.
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Suprised myself and got 92% with 33 points! :f_eek:

Happens I like to float a flop from time to time. :s_biggrin:

Very interesting quiz - looking forward to the next instalment.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      89%. Nice to know I'm doing some bloody thing right! I enjoyed it coz I was quite good at it and it wasn't too hard for me.
    • siaulietis14
      siaulietis14
      Bronze
      I was a bit surprised that we are betting on turn ace. I don't expect to have much fold equity after a PFR checks to us, cos that A :spade: improves his range so much. We are not folding a jack with a single bet, so all we can fold out is dead money. 99-TT is also not going to fold. So what can we fold out? KQ, QT, JT against which we have plenty of equity anyway.

I do not agree that betting on an ace is a best play. It's not bad, but definetly not best. I'd rather bet on any 2-J type of cards, which do not improve his high card range.
    • StaticMoth
      StaticMoth
      Silver
      Originally posted by Fagin
      ... 92% with 33 points!
      +1
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      You scored 32 out of 36 possible points. This corresponds to 89 %!
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      You scored 34 out of 36 possible points. This corresponds to 94 %!

Woo, I'm happy with that. 2 weeks of BSS so far.
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Originally posted by siaulietis14
      I was a bit surprised that we are betting on turn ace. I don't expect to have much fold equity after a PFR checks to us, cos that A :spade: improves his range so much. We are not folding a jack with a single bet, so all we can fold out is dead money. 99-TT is also not going to fold. So what can we fold out? KQ, QT, JT against which we have plenty of equity anyway.

I do not agree that betting on an ace is a best play. It's not bad, but definetly not best. I'd rather bet on any 2-J type of cards, which do not improve his high card range.
      I like to bet a utg pfr in this spot even if I think he has the ace if I think he is passive enough to just call and not play c/r. Because I like my implied odds here if I hit, and he will have a hard time folding his ace on the river if there is a flush on the board. And he will almost never fold if a straight completes (especially on these stakes). Also I consider my image in a hand like this, because if they see you 2 barrel a draw, you can later get paid of with a set by a top pair/weak kicker. Maybe even get reraised the next time when you have a hand.

But I'd anyway mix up my play and do a little bit of both.. but that's just some of my reasons to make the turn bet.
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      69% :D Wasnt paying much attention :f_cool: