Beware the AK

• Snailteaser
      Snailteaser
      Bronze
      Don't think AK is a fantastic hand pre-flop to hold. I guess I had misfortune but last 5 times I had AK no A's or K's came after flop.
      However when I held KK pre-flop and went all-in with it, the opponent just won with AK, coz of course damn A came on flop for him.

Obnoxious game! :)
  • 5 replies
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      AK is a drawing hand. remember that, children
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      such a pointless thread :s_confused:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
    • Snailteaser
      Snailteaser
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gregor86
      such a pointless thread :s_confused:
      Then don't bother yourself replying. If it's pointless the admins would remove it anyways. I just wanted to share my experience about it so far as in some of the strategy guides it's referred as a killer hand. This hand is probably a bit overrated.
    • wuttehhell
      wuttehhell
      Bronze
      The hand is good. It's a huge underdog only to aces, a small undergod to kings (30% to win) and it's 50% to win against all other pairs. On the other hand, it dominates AQ, AJ, KQ and KJ and it's about 60% favorite against most hands.

In a cash game, you usually want to reraise on AK to isolate, but you're just as happy if everyone folds to your raise. Winning preflop on AK is definetely good. If the raise comes from the CO and youre BTN, it's good just to call cause you want to keep smaller aces and kings in the game. I'd go ahead and raise it from the blinds 90% of the cases though.

Just because you lost 5 times in a row it doesn't mean AK is overrated.

I wish you better luck next time. :spade: