[NL2-NL10] JQ, Top pair on flop against a shove

• degre
      degre
      Bronze
      No reads about the opponent, was an unknown and was my first orbit at the table.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):
      $2.28
      BB:
      $6.36
      UTG2:
      $1.42
      MP1:
      $1.30
      MP2:
      $0.36
      MP3:
      $2.20
      CO:
      $2.19
      BU:
      $1.95

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, Q.
      MP3 posts deadblind, MP3 posts deadblind, UTG2 calls $0.02, MP1 calls $0.02, MP2 folds, MP3 checks, CO calls $0.02, BU folds, Hero calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.13) 9, Q, 5 (6 players)
      Hero bets $0.08, BB calls $0.08, UTG2 raises to $0.45, MP1 folds, MP3 calls $0.45, CO folds, Hero ???, BB folds.

I've called... but I'm thinking more and more that with such a raise was a mistake...
  • 3 replies
    • StaticMoth
      StaticMoth
      Bronze
      There was a huge raise and a call behind in a multiway pot, so you're TPGK is no good here.

Ofc you never know on NL2 what they're doin' but such heavy multiway action, it's an easy fold for you.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Thought so, thanks for confirming.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by StaticMoth
      There was a huge raise and a call behind in a multiway pot, so you're TPGK is no good here.

Ofc you never know on NL2 what they're doin' but such heavy multiway action, it's an easy fold for you.
      Agreed. Even if somehow you're ahead you'll be up against hands that have lots of equity against your top pair, and out of position 3-way it'll be a nightmare to get to showdown against aggressive players even if you're ahead. Just a bad spot to get yourself into overall you might even be drawing close to dead already sometimes, just cut your losses on the flop.

Hope it helps.