From $50 to $40, what to do?

• Xidjo
      Xidjo
      Bronze
      Hi there,

I just started playing as I received my $50 starting money, but I think I had some little problems right here. I player Holdem NL2 and lost $10 in less than 2 hours I think. I used SSS and it went really well... Till:

I got AKo and decided to go all-in late pos., for some reasons guy with 46o calls and hits 46 in community... And that happened to me few more times and I just stoped playing.

Now I keep on reading all I can about NL holdem and hoplefully I'll get to start winning...

Any suggestions? :(
  • 15 replies
    • Skyscrapers
      Skyscrapers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Xidjo
      I got AKo and decided to go all-in late pos., for some reasons guy with 46o calls and hits 46 in community... And that happened to me few more times and I just stoped playing.
      so 5 times in a row u lost AK to 46? :s_mad:

suggestion: don't go on tilt just because you lost a buy in!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      don't play SSS at NL2 or even better don't play SSS poker rooms are making it harder and harder for this strategy to be profitable, plus you will probably end up playing BSS at some point in your poker life so why not learn now.
    • Xidjo
      Xidjo
      Bronze
      No, I mean - I lost 5 games kinda in the same way as mentioned.

And what would BSS be? =\

I'm currently back on playing, prolly will get some cash back.

So, I don't understand what strategy stick with to build up my bankroll? Maybe try some small SNG's or something?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      it depends what you're good at playing or most importantly what you most ENJOY playing.

BSS is big stack strategy you buy in for 100BBs instead of 20. its a totaly different strategy to SSS though so you have alot of reading to do.

You could try SNG's if you enjoy them but be warned SNG's can be hella swingy

Good luck in whatever you might try
    • Xidjo
      Xidjo
      Bronze
      I really don't know! I would like to play both, but I know that I won't be able to get maximum effect so I want to master one of them Cash-games or SNG's. I just can't decide which one.

I like cash-games of that I can use whole different strategies in future and build my bankroll quite good. Plus I can leave whenever I want.

For SNG's is that I like to play for prize and knock-out players. So again I must play till the end or I end up losing money.

So I better prefer mastering cash-games, so any suggestions on that?

EDIT: I actually got from $40 to $43.xx, but in the fact I mixed SSS up with some sense of logical thinking, that way I didn't make mistakes and stupid decisions, I think that's a good sign. :D
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      It's completely upto you, you can play SNG's and build a big bankroll too read some blogs see everyones stories. It really comes down to you, you're the one who knows what you enjoy playing most find and concentrate on that and you can work on other strategies later on in your poker career
    • wuttehhell
      wuttehhell
      Bronze
      I think cash games fit you a lot better. Usually sngs are about survival, not about knocking players out.

What you should do now is you shouldn't panic, you only lost 10$ after all.

Just reread the strategy articles, and put them into practice. I've tryed the SSS at NL2 myself, and it worked quite well. All you have to do is follow the charts and add a little imagination to the mix.

Wish you luck. :spade:
    • Xidjo
      Xidjo
      Bronze
      Yeah, you're probably right, I will keep to develop my cash-game player style as I think it will help me from beginning! :)
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      SSS still pays well if you strictly follow the rules.

Tighten up and review your hands, probably you went a bit loose somewhere.

Maybe you've just had bad luck and tilted a bit, but honestly 10$ in 2 hours with SSS seems a lot to me... how many tables where you palying?
    • Xidjo
      Xidjo
      Bronze
      There were some all-ins that didn't go too well and now I actually understand where I had mistakes.
    • Xidjo
      Xidjo
      Bronze
      Okay, this is simple bull-s... when I have high hand like AK or AQ I don't hit the flop NEVER, when I got AA or KK someone hits straight or flush everytime. I play few hands and lose all of them. Maybe I'm just not right person for poker playing as I do all I can - play in position, play few hands, but high, use what I learned from articles, watch tables. Gosh, maybe I should quit right here?

Damn headache is those players who go with nothing (!!!) till river and hits pair better than mine. Usually it happens with people who just called my raises, I'm so sick of them...
    • benem75
      benem75
      Bronze
      your just learning that the most important factor in poker is luck.
      you can play perfect poker and lose time and time again.
      happens to everyone.once you realise this bad runs no longer bother you.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by benem75
      your just learning that the most important factor in poker is luck.
      This, my friend, is against any principle of this site.
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      main things when playing against poor players like in NL2 is don't bluff and when you do have a hand like top pair top kicker then raise big....i dont mean raise to 20cents in NL2 but raise 4BB + 1 per limper....so first in raise to .08 and on the flop....bet 80%-100% of the pot if you hit and then bet 80% of pot on the turn and maybe 70% on the river but check then fold if you don't hit
      thats what got me through those limits
    • Xidjo
      Xidjo
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks for advice. :)